Giant amphipod?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right ok, hoping they are non parasitic, are the parasitic ones actually a problem? as in worse than ich or something or are they easy to manage and eradicate
Its getting to remove them as some do not detach easily. Hopefully not

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If only 1 was introduced, does that mean that no more can appear in the tank?
They do reproduce but you could get lucky and be confined to just one. You will know in 48-72 hrs if more are seen

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do reproduce but you could get lucky and be confined to just one. You will know in 48-72 hrs if more are seen
Right ok, I will keep an eye on it.
Fish come out of quarantine in 12 days, however I am moving the tank in about 8 days and have an opportunity to remove the rock as I move it (its a 20 gallon) - Should I take the opportunity of draining and removing the live rock to investigate more?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are dips that can remove them if you catch the fish, but if they're parasitic isopods, the ones I've seen tend to be most active right after dark or in the twilight hours. With the ones I had, I used a freshwater dip (pH balanced) to remove them from the affected fish, then caught the free swimming ones on several consecutive nights when they were free swimming. The ones I had sort of swam into the current and often went for higher up in the water column and near the glass, so they were relatively easy to nab.

That said, the movie you've made is of an amphipod.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are dips that can remove them if you catch the fish, but if they're parasitic isopods, the ones I've seen tend to be most active right after dark or in the twilight hours. With the ones I had, I used a freshwater dip (pH balanced) to remove them from the affected fish, then caught the free swimming ones on several consecutive nights when they were free swimming. The ones I had sort of swam into the current and often went for higher up in the water column and near the glass, so they were relatively easy to nab.

That said, the movie you've made is of an amphipod.
Alright ok, so I assume the amphipod is safe to put back into the tank right?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, that's an amphipod there. Looks like the usual kind. If there are no fish to keep them in check, they can multiply to numbers that stress corals, and they may eat stressed corals (particularly zoas), but they're harmless and beneficial in the average reef.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's an amphipod there. Looks like the usual kind. If there are no fish to keep them in check, they can multiply to numbers that stress corals, and they may eat stressed corals (particularly zoas), but they're harmless and beneficial in the average reef.
Right ok, luckily the fish return to the tank in 11 days so shouldn't be a problem, thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back