Giesemann Aurora V8 review

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running this fixture for the past 8 months I think has been flying under the radar, at least in the US, so I thought I would do a write up about my experiences with it. This can also serve as a reference as I fairly frequently get asked about my opinions of it.

1657886984546.jpeg

For clarities sake I must mention that I was given this light by Giesemann to try out, but it was under the condition that I’m free to share my experiences with it, both good and bad which they didn’t have a problem with.

There are several Aurora V8’s: 900, 1200 and 1500mm ones. The one I’m using is the 1500mm Pro version which contains an extra LED puck bringing the total to 5 pucks instead of 4 and the overall output of it to 1100w.

It also has 8 80W T5 bulbs with individual reflectors.

1657887033052.jpeg

The control portion of the light is done through their new Lync app which is a nice improvement against the previous control programs which couldn’t be used if you had an Iphone so you were forced to use a computer and the application itself wasn’t in all honestly the best.

The Lync app is an overall good experience, easy to get the hang of and straight forward in programming the light schedule.

1657887212472.jpeg

The two negatives I find is that it cannot be used in landscape mode on your phone which can make certain stuff a bit to small for my liking and the fact that I don’t fully agree with how the total power percentage is calculated:
The app has 10 channels that can be controlled individually (6 LED / 4 T5 groups) and can be set between 0-120% (overdriving the T5’s/LED’s). The thing is that the curve just shows the highest channel. So you could have 9 out of the 10 channels turned off and one at 100% and it will still show as being at 100% and not 10% which, from my POV, is the correct way to display it.

I’ve talked to Giesemann about both points and it’s something they are looking in to.

Regardless, you shouldn’t be messing around with the setting with any frequency anyways so it’s not really a problem.

The app has several pre-sets that one can use but I prefer to use the “Pro mode” to fully customize my spectrum.

1657887312465.jpeg

Another welcomed feature is that you can share your settings with another user using whatsapp, email etc.

1657887335617.jpeg

1657887354070.jpeg

On to the fixture itself

I’ve been a fan of German and Giesemann stuff for a long time and have used several of their fixtures in the past two decades, starting with HQI fixtures back in the day.
Two major gripes I’ve always had with aquarium lighting is that it, generally, just feels cheap. Plasticky and flimsy and not ecstatically pleasing.
Giesemann has always delivered on those two points and still do with the V8, it’s built like a tank with powder coated aluminium and looks awesomely sleek and minimalistic. The “wife acceptance factor” is definitely a plus.

1657887397685.jpeg

However, being properly built does come with a drawback and that is weigh. The fixture itself clocks in at about 15kg and there is no way to mount it on the tank to my knowledge so hanging it from the ceiling is the only option. For me that’s not a problem as it is my preferred option and I have a concreate roof in my basement but for someone who’s roof is just made of drywall and has no studs to mount it to you might need to get creative.

1657887441604.jpeg

The light itself is very pleasing to the eye and I’ve had great coral growth. You get a fair few options in terms of bulb combination combined with the LEDs so most people should be able to find something that suits their taste. However, if you’re a fan of the extremely blue look I’m not sure if this is really the fixture that you’re looking for. You can definitely run the light extremely blue, but you will be sacrificing some intensity.
It's a fairly expensive unit at first glance, the pro version that I’m using clocks in at 2800 euros which at first glance sounds very high but keep in mind this thing on its own is lighting my 200x80x65cm tank which I think is great value for money. If I went with some other high-quality fixtures I would probably need 5 of them to get the same coverage and light spread which would be almost twice the money.
As you can see on the pictures, I grow acros all throughout the tank.

1657887483037.jpeg

I’ve done PAR test in the tank, and I get about 400 par at the top of the rocks 1/3 down in to the tank and somewhere around 200-250 on the bottom, obviously a bit lower on the edges of the tank.

Due to the T5’s the fixture does emit a decent amount of heat when all 8 of them are running at 100% so that might be a consideration if you live somewhere where the indoor climate is very hot. The fixture itself does obviously get hot as well but not hot enough so that you can’t keep you hand on it. Here in Sweden the heat isn’t a problem whatsoever, even on really hot days.
The fixture comes with a frosted covering for the LED’s which provided a very uniform, diffused light. However, being an old HQI guy I do love my shimmer and I found that when running all of the T5’s they overpowered that somewhat.
I once splashed some water on the diffuser plate and removed it for cleaning, to my surprise the shimmer looked just like I wanted it to when it was of, so I decided to replace it with a clear piece of acrylic which has been awesome. I had the acrylic and a plunge saw at hand so it was a real easy operation, but most decent hardware stores will be able to cut a piece to size if you ask nicely.

Summary

Overall, I’m extremely happy with this light as it perfectly fits my wants and needs in a light fixture, great spread with lots of power, aesthetically pleasing and built to a very high standard.
I think it really shines if you like the somewhat more natural look to your reef and aren’t afraid to change the T5 bulbs every 18 months or so.

It’s fairly heavy and to my knowledge there’s no tank mounts available from the manufacturer so that might be a consideration.

It uses up a good amount of power but that’s unavoidable if you are looking for real high intensity lighting.

I think that about all I can think of now. I’m happy to answer any questions about my experience with it if I’ve missed something.

If you are interested you can find heaps of pictures/videos on here: https://instagram.com/viking_reefing?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Chefb12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massive downside of a 1500 unit is when something goes wrong with the light the postage to return for repairs is insane. I have the previous version of this light in 1500 and things started going wrong with it after 12 months. Changing the ballast on the previous unit is a nightmare just something to bare in mind

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this fixture but it’s not up yet. Struggling with the app. I run it on an iPhone and it doesn’t update the schedule unless I restart the lights by power cycle. Also the preview option of the schedule doesn’t work for me. And lastly, I think their diffuser plate for the LEDs is way to thick. I think it causes the PAR to drop by half. Also, every time the fixture reconnects to the WiFi it flashes the LED pucks like there is a sudden thunderstorm going on. Very unnecessary imo.
That’s strange, I’ve had no such problems.
Have you tried connecting to it directly via Wi-Fi? If there’s a problem with your home Wi-Fi that might help.

I haven’t tested it myself but a buddy did par tests with and without the diffuser and there was no extreme difference from what I remember.

Yeah, the flashing thing is kind of weird but I’m not connecting to the light after it was set up to my liking so not something that I care a great deal about :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massive downside of a 1500 unit is when something goes wrong with the light the postage to return for repairs is insane. I have the previous version of this light in 1500 and things started going wrong with it after 12 months. Changing the ballast on the previous unit is a nightmare just something to bare in mind
Ah, no possibility to have it repaired by the distributer in the US?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sleakness of the fixture. Very nice. Maybe you can post pictures of using the led's all by them self and t5 by itself then both together so you can show what the combo is bringing to the table
Is there any shimmer?

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review :)
My current Aurora 1500 have been running for 4 years now, and my plan is to swith to the Aurora V8 next year.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sleakness of the fixture. Very nice. Maybe you can post pictures of using the led's all by them self and t5 by itself then both together so you can show what the combo is bringing to the table
Is there any shimmer?
If you have a look at my YouTube channel or IG you will find several pictures and videos

Yeah, there’s shimmer. Especially after I replaced the diffuser plate with clear acrylic.
Obviously when you are running all of the 8 T5’s it will lessen.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the curvature of the fixture. Really like that. Does it reduce light spill into room.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this fixture but it’s not up yet. Struggling with the app. I run it on an iPhone and it doesn’t update the schedule unless I restart the lights by power cycle. Also the preview option of the schedule doesn’t work for me. And lastly, I think their diffuser plate for the LEDs is way to thick. I think it causes the PAR to drop by half. Also, every time the fixture reconnects to the WiFi it flashes the LED pucks like there is a sudden thunderstorm going on. Very unnecessary imo.
I should add that I now tried the app on android and there it works flawless. There are some ios bugs.

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that I now tried the app on android and there it works flawless. There are some ios bugs.
That’s real strange. Like I said, I run iOS without any of the problems you mentioned.
My thought is that there would be a problem with the unit itself but obviously there isn’t.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s real strange. Like I said, I run iOS without any of the problems you mentioned.
My thought is that there would be a problem with the unit itself but obviously there isn’t.
Another correction: now the Android version doesn’t work either. After one day of use I have again connection problems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back