Glove residue

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wear gloves when working around my tanks. Recently switched to these.

image.jpg

Now when ever I spill water on my hand, it looks like soap forms. These bubbles only form if I am moving the water around on the glove.

I used these in and around my tank. Have I contaminated my tank with something and if so how do I find out what? An icp?

IMG_1980.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing useful you can do to test. If there is a material comping off, it is an organic and cannot be detected by ICP.

Different companies use different things in place of powder. I cannot tell what this company uses for these particular gloves, but they mention a polymer coating on other gloves, including food grade gloves.

I'd probably rinse them well under warm tap water like you are washing your hands, and then it is likely fine.

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing useful you can do to test. If there is a material comping off, it is an organic and cannot be detected by ICP.

Different companies use different things in place of powder. I cannot tell what this company uses for these particular gloves, but they mention a polymer coating on other gloves, including food grade gloves.

I'd probably rinse them well under warm tap water like you are washing your hands, and then it is likely fine.
Do you have any suggestions for gloves that wouldn’t potentially leak something into the tank?

since you think it is organic, do you think that reduces the risk of it being potentially harmful to coral and fish?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try my best to keep tap water as far away as possible from the tank. Probably over reacting but there is a lot of junk in the water here
Maybe dip, rub, and shake hands off in a bucket of rodi... I keep a bucket of rodi exclusively for rinsing stuff before it enters the tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consensus would be to not use them around the tank, correct?

My comment above was:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%

Back