GMK Zoas dying or closing

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, wanted to get some advice on some zoas I got. I got a ton of zoas and all of them are fine and dandy. My euphyllia are doing great too. I test regularly recently and my params are stable. Ill attach a picture of my whole tank. So this leads me to wonder whats wrong with my GMK zoas. I have stratospheres right next to them and they are fine.

I have lugols iodine and would consider a dip. Recently in the past few days one or two polyps out of 8 are like 60% opened at a time and u can see the tips of the zoa poking out the closed polyp. So Im confused if all my other zoas open up fine on all levels of my tank.(except one that i moved up and is now opening a bit more)

IMG_1810.jpeg IMG_1812.jpeg IMG_1813.jpeg IMG_1811.jpeg

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would do an iodine dip and I would also do a Beyer dip. Behavior like that could be stress, bacterial, or a pest. So doing a beyer dip and an iodine dip at least helps with a couple of those.

OP
OP
WetPringleChip

WetPringleChip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad we are in the same boat. I dont have bayer on hand but they started to look really bad. I did 100mLs of water with a splash of brightwell frag recover, brightwell coral aminos, and 1-2 drops of lugols iodine. First dip had them slightly open up. Day 2 (today) had them all slightly open a bit more and I did a 2nd today with half a drop iodine, coral aminos and brightwell restore. Im trying to let them absorb some energy while keeping off nasties with iodine and fingers crossed it helps. Heard about this with some Florida conservationists pumping the Florida coral with feed dips while also trying to prevent future infections or stuff.

aqquabubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad we are in the same boat. I dont have bayer on hand but they started to look really bad. I did 100mLs of water with a splash of brightwell frag recover, brightwell coral aminos, and 1-2 drops of lugols iodine. First dip had them slightly open up. Day 2 (today) had them all slightly open a bit more and I did a 2nd today with half a drop iodine, coral aminos and brightwell restore. Im trying to let them absorb some energy while keeping off nasties with iodine and fingers crossed it helps. Heard about this with some Florida conservationists pumping the Florida coral with feed dips while also trying to prevent future infections or stuff.
I always do a 15 minute dip in about a red solo cup worth of tank water. 5 drops of iodine. Probably do like 5-7 minutes instead for the sensitive zoas. I’ve lost a few frags of GMK to its a bummer. Also try low light, for some reason I’ve always got better results with low light for the sensitive stuff!

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMK pretty much always melted for me over the years. I think they dont like something I do

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back