Going from mixed reef to FOWLR…what to do with zoanthid covered rocks?

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
Curious to hear some thoughts. I am moving apartments this week and in the process, I am moving from a 32g biocibe mixed reef to a 40g breeder FOWLR aquarium. I don’t have as much time to maintain a reef and I’d like to keep my fish so am just going to keep my fish and live rock. I’ve already sold off many of my colonies.

My plan for the move is to set up the 40g in the new place with just sand, and then a few days later will move all of the rock from my existing tank. Then will move all of the fish a few hours later. I need to use my existing rock to maintain my cycle, although I will also be adding Fritz Turbo Start 900 to make sure there are no ammonia spikes. I also have a treasure chest of 8lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater Rock coming a few days after I move the fish.

One thing I am concerned about is a lot of my
rock is covered in zoanthids. I am not sure if I should remove the rock and pick the zoanthids off (or try to) or if I should just leave most of them and hope they do okay in the new tank? I don’t plan on maintaining water parameters the same way I did in the Biocube for corals, and my light is going to be significantly weaker. I’d hate to have rotting zoanthids cause an ammonia spike…is this possible?

Here is what the rocks look like. I think I will try to pick off the pest zoas as best I could and then transfer the rock. I don’t think I can just give the rock away because I need it to maintain my cycle in the new tank.

So what would you guys do in this situation? It doesn’t look like the zoas will be too hard to remove, but curious if you would remove them or just say screw it and leave them. I wish I could simply trade the rocks in, but all of the stores around here have awful live rock and keep diseased fish in the same tanks as the rock.. I don’t need a new disease vector when I move my healthy fish.

Thanks!

IMG_9225.jpeg

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leavem and find a fish that will consume them (butterflies).
that is a good idea actually…but not sure a butterfly will work in a 40 breeder unless I rehome it after haha

IDK…maybe I am overthinking this? I doubt zoas will melt instantly in the new tank but the risk is surely non-zero

Last edited:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels may very likely pick at them, lemonpeels and Eibl's angels are some of the most notorious coral eaters of the group. Pearlscale butterflies are also big zoa eaters, and they tend to come in smaller then some other species so one might work for a while, but it would have to be rehomed for sure. Whatever you do, don't squish, cut or leave them out of water or else they will release Palytoxin into the air, and don't touch them a whole lot without gloves.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angels may very likely pick at them, lemonpeels and Eibl's angels are some of the most notorious coral eaters of the group. Pearlscale butterflies are also big zoa eaters, and they tend to come in smaller then some other species so one might work for a while, but it would have to be rehomed for sure. Whatever you do, don't squish, cut or leave them out of water or else they will release Palytoxin into the air, and don't touch them a whole lot without gloves.
Is there even a “safe” way to remove them from rock in the air? Maybe I will have to throw on goggles and a mask and leave the rock submerged in a bucket while I pick them off.

A lot of them haven’t really grown into large mats, and are singular polyps and stalks that appear easy to remove.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs. Look on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or a Reef Club, to see if they has any they want to get rid of. BTW, don’t touch the Nudibranchs, they hold the Toxins from the Zoanthid, also as they move from Colony to Colony, they will change colors.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthid Eating Nudibranchs. Look on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or a Reef Club, to see if they has any they want to get rid of. BTW, don’t touch the Nudibranchs, they hold the Toxins from the Zoanthid, also as they move from Colony to Colony, they will change colors.
Hm have you seen these available for sale before? I’ve only seen berghia before but maybe need to dig a little deeper

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the Sources I mentioned, and on rare occasions, at LFS. They come as hitchhikers, on Live Rock.

sethandru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of zoanthids are on your rocks I might be willing to buy them and you can get new rock and have cash?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back