Going to talk -- quick question

Bartwick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a brief experiment with Triton I'm considering going back to using limewater to maintain alkalinity and calcium. Before Triton I used limewater for top off. I wish I could say alkalinity was stable but honestly I wasn't diligent enough with testing to know. I do know that my kalk reactor produces at least nearly fully saturated solution based on EC. It was in use with monthly maintenance for over a year until I converted it into a Triton dosing container.

I'm assuming that I should aim to maintain the same level of alkalinity with limewater as I have with Triton. Now my alkalinity is pretty solidly at 8.4 with minimal deviation. I plan to dose with a dosing pump and then top off with RODI.
I would like to ballpark the amount of limewater I would need and compare that to my top off needs.

Triton writes that the their part 3 (a &b) has 9750 dKh alkalinity per L. I'm dosing 20ml per day. This would be 195 dKh. I haven't been able to find the level of alkalinity created by saturated limewater. I have read Randy's articles on the subject. Excuse me if it's there and I missed it. Can Randy or someone please help me with this? Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

never ran triton so let’s bump

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a calculator to play around with: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I don't know your tank volume. But, for example, 1 gallon of saturated limewater will raise the dKH in 115 gallons about 1 dKH.

Let me know how many dKH your tank uses a day (or week or whatever) and the water volume, and I can help you calculate how much kalk you need.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back