Good guy?

Alaska-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in my new coral. He is less than 1/2 inch in size.

20201020_155431.jpg 20201020_155507.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Serpant starfish. . . . . . Brittle similar but shorter body
Serpants feature long, serpent-like arms that allow them to move very quickly for a starfish. They are excellent scavengers that will feed mainly on decaying matter and plankton. Like most starfish, if they lose an appendage it will regenerate along the central disc. The Serpent Star will spend much of its time along live rock work and will come out most often at night. They usually should not be housed with feather dusters as they can eat them.

OP
OP
Alaska-reefer

Alaska-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpant starfish. . . . . . Brittle similar but shorter body
Serpants feature long, serpent-like arms that allow them to move very quickly for a starfish. They are excellent scavengers that will feed mainly on decaying matter and plankton. Like most starfish, if they lose an appendage it will regenerate along the central disc. The Serpent Star will spend much of its time along live rock work and will come out most often at night. They usually should not be housed with feather dusters as they can eat them.
Awesome, I love free helpers. I doubt he will survive with the fish I have in my tank. Would it be better for him to live in the sump?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Awesome, I love free helpers. I doubt he will survive with the fish I have in my tank. Would it be better for him to live in the sump?
Sump is acceptable. I have two that are 8" diameter in with many fish and they dont bother it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With it being so small, would it be safe with the fish? I have a six line Wrasse and a Foxface.
I dont see an issue. By now, they would have showed interest in it

Dave2245

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I haven't did my research all the way, is this true it's not good to house a brittle starfish with a feather duster? I do have a red brittle starfish but he doesn't show himself at all. I have to find him to feed him. But now I just got two feather duster. Should I be worried?

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I haven't did my research all the way, is this true it's not good to house a brittle starfish with a feather duster? I do have a red brittle starfish but he doesn't show himself at all. I have to find him to feed him. But now I just got two feather duster. Should I be worried?
I have a humongous red brittle star and he shows no interest in my coco worm, if that helps you at all. my star sound like yours, but we do get to see pieces parts of him because he hangs out in an arch. whenever We see more it’s like OMG HES STILL GROWING!

Dave2245

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a humongous red brittle star and he shows no interest in my coco worm, if that helps you at all. my star sound like yours, but we do get to see pieces parts of him because he hangs out in an arch. whenever We see more it’s like OMG HES STILL GROWING!
Lol Yes like I said we only see him if I have a treat and I move a rock where be at sometime. I will give him a small piece of shrimp and he will come out, not even halfway. You will only see his arms come out for the food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back