Good or bad?

Reef Surfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in some new live rock and found a few of these. I think they're some kind of worm. They are pretty much see through with a white tone. They swim by wiggling back and forth and are pretty fast. Anyone have any idea what they are and if they're good or bad?
IMG_9101C462B23E-1.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like Lancelets to me too - like WheatToast said, harmless filter-feeders. I haven't looked too in depth at these yet, but if you want to try and keep them, I'd suggest offering them a phytoplankton blend regularly (I don't know the specific needs of these, but Isochrysis, Chaetoceros, and Tetraselmis would be my go-to suggestions for phyto).

OP
OP
R

Reef Surfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, looks like Lancelets to me too - like WheatToast said, harmless filter-feeders. I haven't looked too in depth at these yet, but if you want to try and keep them, I'd suggest offering them a phytoplankton blend regularly (I don't know the specific needs of these, but Isochrysis, Chaetoceros, and Tetraselmis would be my go-to suggestions for phyto).
I ordered rocks and sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater for my new IM 100. They probably came out of the new sand. I'm going to let the new tank run fishless for a month or so to build up the bacteria and copepods. I'll be feeding phyto for the pods anyways so the lancelets can eat this as well. I'm sure once my fish go in the new tank my pintail wrasse will devour the Lancelets in no time. He's a pig and eats anything lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back