got a new acropora!!! no ID cutting from a large bali colony: photo? maybe when lights come on.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
today i got this awesome cutting from a new bali shipment for $15 (store had it for about 3 days)
i asked for a cutting and they sold me one from the lower section still healthy color.

i dont have an ID on it but maybe the description might ring a bell.

it looks like an Oregon tort under actinic lighting with beautiful bright yellow polyps. under 12k it has a pink pastel color along with yellow polyps! the whole colony was the same shade of blue/purple with the same color of polyps. has anyone seen my new addition before.

no photos but i can post some in a day or 2

actually ill just go to the lfs and take the photo there!
;) maybe ill come home with a new lps too

Last edited:

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a wild colony? If it is, give it your own name since it will likely color up differently in your system than it is now. FWIW, names are given by people with a known background just so they can make a ton of cash off of people willing to pay for it..
No two corals look the same in different systems..
My .02

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks reeferdood! yeah its wild colony. did you say tones of cash;Greedy. jk if it turns into a nice show peice and people want it then i wont mind selling frags at a price i think people would be happy with and willing to pay.
I've seen too many acro frags worth about a house payment. though its nice being able to get a nice frag every now and again im just not willing to pay 200+ on it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to need to post a clear picture in daylight if you want people to opine on if they have seen it before. You can make anything look like anything under blues, so that will not help much.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people come here and claim that they’ll sell frags on the cheap, then turn around with $$$ prices :)

I’m owed a Walt Disney by one and a wild coral frag by another. Not holding my breath ;-)

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Bali wasn't allowed to export anymore?

i thought so too, but maybe things changed. when i mentioned the "ban" (political issue) to local lfs they say that they still get shipments from bali and the land down under >mostly aussie corals<.. only one store mentioned that it wasn't possible. important to note that they are the only one in town who dont stock sps but large lps selections.

You are going to need to post a clear picture in daylight if you want people to opine on if they have seen it before. You can make anything look like anything under blues, so that will not help much.
but should they be over looked for ID posts?. i hope to capture good photos of the mother colony at the lfs under 3 different light temps 14k, and 20k. as of right now its totally unreasonable to make a trip to the LFS for just that reason. its in the grow out tank so he actually will have it for a while.
other than that if i get a good response from the new frag after it acclimates to its environment ill post photos of it here maybe a week or two.

Keep in mind wild acros will change colors once in captivity. So keep it in a stable tank with lower alk etc and it should grow nicely.

thanks boom. ill remember that for the future. ive been trying to keep mine above 8 dkh i'll read your articles again :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok well the acropora has bleached polyps now. and it looks more green then yellow after a few days. its changing colors like all of you stated would happen
my camera lens must not be aligned properly because its distorted and wont focus easily. time to stop buying coral and time to save up for a new lens/camera bundle!
you can see the purple flesh with blue tips and a lime green bleached polyps. its still a nice coral, most likely nothing new to the game.

p.s. i ran out of super glue so i used coralline colored epoxy, you know. its not where i plan on keeping it. ill move it in a few days from now
acropora.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so no new camera yet.its turning into a nice acro it looks like what wwc calls fade to blue https://worldwidecorals.com/wwc-fade-to-blue-acropora-18770.html
also picked up 5 new corals a mr. pac-man, Tyree Superman Tenuis, another high-lighter that looked a bit different then the original one i bought, a red dragon.
also a "pink" milli it looks more blue and dull under 20k. :(

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back