GPH for sump and display? All information welcome!

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question, do you need to account for the sump gallons when choosing GPH? Also what would be a good return pump for my needs?

Im building a 25 gallon Mr. Aqua DT thats going to host fish, zoas and euphyllia/1 nem not really doing SPS unless I decide to do like 1 birdsnest. I have a 29 gallon DIY sump and will maybe be adding a skimmer later one. my overflow is the eshopps eclipse M with a 3/4 locline return and lastly one mp10 ecotech powerhead. what size should I do my return pump at? I want the return pump to also act as additional flow due to my worries that the mp10 is not strong enough? Any thoughts on this, im relatively new to the hobby but I currently have a 60 gallon AIO that I want to downsize due to space.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the rating of your overflow to select the pump. Too much flow it might flood the aquarium, too little will be loud.

select one that allows You to adjust up or dow from that rating.
Ie if it says 700 gph get a pump for 900-1000 gph and turn it down.

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the rating of your overflow to select the pump. Too much flow it might flood the aquarium, too little will be loud.

select one that allows You to adjust up or dow from that rating.
Ie if it says 700 gph get a pump for 900-1000 gph and turn it down.

The eclipse M is rated to 800gph so you are saying to get an adjustable one and not go over too much of the overflow rating due to the return pump being "faster" than the over flow correct? Also accounting for headpressure how much would I compensate for? I don't have it plumbed yet but its not going to be too crazy from what I imagine mat 46" worth of tubing with maybe a couple of 90 degree angles. I was looking at the "Hydro Seltz D 1000" which is rated at 1000gph and you can turn it down, but it doesn't state what the lowest setting provides in terms of GPH...

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eclipse M is rated to 800gph so you are saying to get an adjustable one and not go over too much of the overflow rating due to the return pump being "faster" than the over flow correct? Also accounting for headpressure how much would I compensate for? I don't have it plumbed yet but its not going to be too crazy from what I imagine mat 46" worth of tubing with maybe a couple of 90 degree angles. I was looking at the "Hydro Seltz D 1000" which is rated at 1000gph and you can turn it down, but it doesn't state what the lowest setting provides in terms of GPH...
1000 gph should be fine :)
You can always split the return and use rfg nozzles if this is too much in a 25 from a single regular nozzle

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back