green algae on coralline

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lately have been getting this greenish algae growing where what was once just coralline. I'm not sure if the tank is going through troubles or if this is a normal activity for coralline to undergo, from time to time. Any ideas?
20200216_130810.jpg

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, could this be related? My Duncan seems to have these brownish spots on it. It also seemed like they were spreading to
20200219_133215.jpg
my candycane coral, though it looks fine now.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WWC these don’t look like aefw but definitely a flatworm of some type yea?
Also, could this be related? My Duncan seems to have these brownish spots on it. It also seemed like they were spreading to
20200219_133215.jpg
The GHA is growing to consume some of your aquarium waste. You can manually remove with a tooth brush. I recommend research forms of nutrient exportation. The algae will continue to grow as long as it’s got a job to do.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, I've gone to vacuuming my substrate to clean up some of this algae, which just keeps growing. I'm also taking a brush to the rocks. My cleanup crew doesn't seem to touch this algae, though. Also, my yellow tang, wrasse and my foxface don't touch the algae as well. Do I need a specific cleanup crew?

also, I've dropped feeding down to once a day, which will likely kill my 2 column feeders. Also, my nitrates 5, nitrites 0.1-0.2, ammonia 0.3. I'm working to give these numberrs down. Probably some NO3PO4X

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a specific cleanup crew?

also, I've dropped feeding down to once a day, which will likely kill my 2 column feeders. Also, my nitrates 5, nitrites 0.1-0.2, ammonia 0.3. I'm working to give these numberrs down. Probably some NO3PO4X
Sometimes it is difficult to match the right cuc for your tank needs. In these cases you focus on eliminating excess nutrients going to that algae. Adding biodiversity and researching your type of algae is a great start.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it is difficult to match the right cuc for your tank needs. In these cases you focus on eliminating excess nutrients going to that algae. Adding biodiversity and researching your type of algae is a great start.
I'm just not sure what type of algae it is. As I mentioned, it seems my cleanup crew doesn't like eating it. It's almost as if they just go around it, though it's taken over the tank :-(

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200219_133215.jpg
Flatworms, dip that coral. I've cleared euphyllia of flatworms by dipping every three days three or four times.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d be more concerned with the flat worms. Get rid of them quick

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with niteowl. Get rid of the worms. The green colors look like regular algae/color changes that new/dry rock will go through

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the suggestions. I dipped my Duncan and candy cane. Both look much better today ;Happy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back