Green Coral Pigment Collection

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have any idea how to collect green pigments from a Green Acropora or Montipora?Im interested in trying a new way to graft coral and want to try to collect the Green Pigments and feed it to another acropora with BBS,Rots,etc.,and see if that will graft the coral.I know you can take and glue fresh cut edges of coal together,but I want to try it in this way to see the out come of it.Maybe it will work,maybe it wont.

Just a thought!

Thanks!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive thought the same but never figured out how?......................

i was thinking if you took a seringe stuck it in a softie(certain area,mouth) extracted...then stuck it in the same species, diff color softie and shot the extract into ..would it graft?? im not sure

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a little bit harder than that.It might work,but I have never heard of a soft coral being grafted,if I did it,I would be the happiest man on this earth,but I dont know if it would be possible with Softies or not.

What I thought about doing was taking and crushing up a tiny fragment like 1/4 inch of a branch and mixing it with melted BBS and seeing if I fed it to the coral,if it would graft.I know it could be as simple as gluing them together like I did with a Milli and a Capricornis,but I dont want to take a simple route,I want to try somthing new.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds like it might work, ill be the manager of this grafting program,lol just kidding

But it does seem like it would work,just try it

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got great managment skills...lol,JK.

It might work,I know is can be pretty simple,but for the pasy 2 years,Ive woundered how this can be done.I read where alot of people have Stylos spawn and some of the clones will land on the Acropora colony and the green pigment will then start to grow through out the coral.I might try that also.Im thinking about setting up a small system to try it in.It can be the hardest thing to do.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive read for it to naturally happen..ur tank has to be almost exactly like the ocean, where the coral came from, conditions:flow,light,minerals,etc.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is good,but its not exact,I think it can be done,by a fast stress out.Most things spawn when they stress out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back