Green coraline or nussance alage?

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still kinda new to the hobby. I have plenty of pink coraline algae blooming all over the heater and back wall. As a couple weeks ago I had a light green spot get darker. After a water change with redsea coral pro within the week it has really deepend. I believe this is green coraline but am I worng? Is this nussance or other good macroalage? Thanks!

20190624_144937.jpg

20190624_145416.jpg

20190624_144946.jpg

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still kinda new to the hobby. I have plenty of pink coraline algae blooming all over the heater and back wall. As a couple weeks ago I had a light green spot get darker. After a water change with redsea coral pro within the week it has really deepend. I believe this is green coraline but am I worng? Is this nussance or other good macroalage? Thanks!

20190624_144937.jpg

20190624_145416.jpg

20190624_144946.jpg
Green slime. You'll get a lot more don't worry about it it'll go away in its own time, it's apart of the cycling of your tank.

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slime. You'll get a lot more don't worry about it it'll go away in its own time, it's apart of the cycling of your tank.
Like I said I just changed the water and I always put a shot of smart start complete in. I've had the tank for about a year and have never seen this. So it is totally hamless?

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will be a year old next month. I didn't used pre cultured rock. I used dry Caribsea base rock which was stark white. So it's still turning. I only started my zoas a few months ago and my pulsing xenia about 7 months cause those can grow in anything. It's only a 16 gallon biocube.

Reefthedayaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will be a year old next month. I didn't used pre cultured rock. I used dry Caribsea base rock which was stark white. So it's still turning. I only started my zoas a few months ago and my pulsing xenia about 7 months cause those can grow in anything. It's only a 16 gallon biocube.
I've never used dry Rock but I imagine that's the reason why it's only starting now

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea when I first had the rock in there it was whiter then a sheet of paper. Its turning slowly and starting to get little pink coraline algae spots. It has came along way.

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been running on that schedule for bout 5 months. Before that it was a lil longer. The pink coraline has been blooming like crazy on the back wall and starting on the rocks. No problems cept this green spot.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been running on that schedule for bout 5 months. Before that it was a lil longer. The pink coraline has been blooming like crazy on the back wall and starting on the rocks. No problems cept this green spot.

Coralline definitely looks like it is starting nicely for you. I am a bit surprised the rock does not have more algae on it. Nonetheless, I would recommend taking a toothbrush or something similar to it to remove it. I’ve had a nasty green slime problem in my Biocube 16 the last four months. I’ll be shutting it down next weekend. Don’t let this worry you, just make sure you perform preventative maintenance and don’t let it get out of hand!

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, here is a guide to give some info on coralline algae
https://arcreef.com/live-rock/coralline-algae/

They talk about green coralline and the neon green algae in the green coralline section if you don’t want to read whole article. My rock is now just changing from the neon green algae that I thought could be a nuisance algae at first to pink and purple after reading this article I left it alone changed nothing following there direction on growing coralline and it’s paying off. Hope this helps.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I read it and it makes it easier to understand and what I have to do from here.
Glad to hear my latest build was the first time I did man made dry rock not ocean dry rock. So even as long as I have tanks it was all Fuji live rock from back in the day. So it was a learning curve for me. After watching my rock change the way it has I don’t think I will ever go wet or ocean rock again it’s awesome watching it mature. The lighting and temp that is in there I follow too which is warmer then I have ever ran a tank but easier to keep in a warmer climate too so there is that.
Best of luck and enjoy the tank

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also want to mention that this is just one article and one source and my opinion make sure and gather more info and do your own research before making any changes to your tank.

OP
OP
Skarletskunk30

Skarletskunk30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black bucket redsea coral pro which has elevated levels of elements. I use it so I dont have to dose the tank just for zoas and pulsing xenia. Tank stays around 79 degrees. It was pretty much a closed tank but like they say the only way to get coraline into a closed tank is things like new coral, hermit crabs, snails or other hitchhikers. Most I think is just luck. I keep the salinity at around 1.024. Here are some pics of the pink coraline.
20190624_165738.jpg
20190624_165735.jpg

mpluta69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this is a precurser to coraline?. I added the pink and purple Coralline Algae in a Bottle from Algae Barn two weeks ago and about 1 week ago this started showing up. I can't see any signs of pink, purple or red spots on any of this. I first thought it was some type of nuisance algae so I turned the lights off for 5 days and it did nothing. I can't blow or scrub it off so it seems to be encrusting but a couple of spots appear to be developing some little things that look like hairs. If it's nuisance I just want to stay ahead of it.

Attachments

• IMG_3565 conv.jpeg
    IMG_3565 conv.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3564 conv.jpeg
    IMG_3564 conv.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3563 conv.jpeg
    IMG_3563 conv.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3562 conv.jpeg
    IMG_3562 conv.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3561 conv.jpeg
    IMG_3561 conv.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 19

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back