Soey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg

Hello! Dose anyone know what kind of algae this is? Its covering all the areas where light is hitting, including my substrate. I pulled a small rock out of my aquarium, and i could not get it off no matter what i did. It also just appeared all at once in the span of a few weeks. The second picture is of what it looks like on my rock. Although it looks like it would be fuzzy, you cant even feel its there.

Its been covering for about 3 weeks, and i have 3 hermit crabs as a clean up crew in a 13.5 gallon tank. Nitrates are at about 1ppm and phosphate at 0.242. I have also been using NOPOX for about 2 months.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2466.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg

Hello! Dose anyone know what kind of algae this is? Its covering all the areas where light is hitting, including my substrate. I pulled a small rock out of my aquarium, and i could not get it off no matter what i did. It also just appeared all at once in the span of a few weeks. The second picture is of what it looks like on my rock. Although it looks like it would be fuzzy, you cant even feel its there.

Its been covering for about 3 weeks, and i have 3 hermit crabs as a clean up crew in a 13.5 gallon tank. Nitrates are at about 1ppm and phosphate at 0.242. I have also been using NOPOX for about 2 months.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
All of this is likely within the realm of possible trajectories for new aquarium surfaces on their way to becoming mature ecosytems.

OP
OP
Soey

Soey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this is likely within the realm of possible trajectories for new aquarium surfaces on their way to becoming mature ecosytems.
Yeah for sure. its pretty normal from what ive read i was just wondering if anyone knew what it was and if it goes away on its own.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah for sure. its pretty normal from what ive read i was just wondering if anyone knew what it was and if it goes away on its own.
I would be surprised if anyone has taken a close look at such algae growth.

Does it go away on its own? Except for sand, most surfaces over time become partially or completely covered in coralline algae. I have seen coralline covered sand but I suspect the lack of animals or low flow made this possible by allowing the sand grains to face the light most of the time.

OP
OP
Soey

Soey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be surprised if anyone has taken a close look at such algae growth.

Does it go away on its own? Except for sand, most surfaces over time become partially or completely covered in coralline algae. I have seen coralline covered sand but I suspect the lack of animals or low flow made this possible by allowing the sand grains to face the light most of the time.
I actually use crushed corals for my substrate. I found this thread that described all the symptoms that im facing https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/film-algae.309097/ . I hope its coralline algae that will grow on top of what the green is covering rn.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back