Green hair problem on sand only...

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 25 nano that's been up and doing great for about 5 months now. Everything level wise is stable and I do a 20% change every week and a half now with rodi and reef crystals. Stock list is-
30lbs live aragonite
40-50lbs dense aragonite live rock
Double dragon eye zoas
Double eagle eye zoas
Xenia
G/w star polyps
G/b mushrooms
Dottyback (leaving this afternoon)
Oc clown
Small Mexican turbo
Medium emerald crab
Peppermint shrimp
Astraea snails 3-4
Blue leg hermits 5-6
Nessarius snails 2
Margarita snails 3-4

I started with a low count of inverts and have been building slowly so I don't overstock and have hungry creatures but this green hair keeps coming back in my sand bed and nowhere else. I would get a sand sifting star but I don't feel I have enough floor space for it to travel. What do you all think I should add or try?

OP
OP
jCoffin

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I forgot to mention about the sand bed... I did a DSB 2 1/2" because of the success I had with it my last go round. Not sure if that makes a difference but I thought it couldn't hurt to add :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do water changes lightly vacumn sandbed. Most all nusiance algaes are caused by excess nutrients. Make sure when you feed that non of the food hits the bottom. Check your nitrates and phosphates. Do not overfeed it is easy to do.

OP
OP
jCoffin

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do water changes lightly vacumn sandbed. Most all nusiance algaes are caused by excess nutrients. Make sure when you feed that non of the food hits the bottom. Check your nitrates and phosphates. Do not overfeed it is easy to do.

Thanks mike I'll keep and eye on the over feeding. Nitrates and phosphates stay pretty low but I have to adjust my feeding now since I gave the dotty to a buddy because he was getting too territorial. I like having a little extra food pass the clown because the shrimps like a little extra and the nessarius usually get the little that hits the bottom. I threw a dozen tiny blue legs in there last night so I'll see how they do. Would burying the algae under the surface kill it because of lack of light or should it be removed as much as possible by siphon?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back