Greenish flow intake tube to carbon reactor

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently re-did the plumbing and frankly the whole setup and after running for 4 weeks am noticing a green tint in the clean 1/2" hose feeding the carbon reactor. The water exiting and the exit tube is still perfectly clear. This is not happening in the same setup I have in my 75 gallon reef tank. Any thoughts on what is happening to cause green tint to wither the water or the plastic tube walls in this section?

My thought is maybe this is bacteria and I need UV filter?

IMG_0603[1].JPG
IMG_0604[1].JPG
IMG_0605[1].JPG
IMG_0606[1].JPG

Water parameters tested with RedSea show zero No3 and no P04. I have always had problems trying to raise these as I want to grow corals here. 2 clowns and 1 firefish so minimal bio-load. Carbon was more as a help to clear the water. Had a diamond goby that kept sediment in the water column. But A few test corals are doing ok. But this is separate topic. I just post as some will ask and I wondered if it was high and causing algal growth in the plumbing somehow. The back wall of the tank is growing green hair? So maybe consuming all the nutrients and masking the real water parameters?

Background on change. I replaced 29 gallon that had a standard overflow with a drilled 29 gallon tank in place using the same stand. I also replaced the 10 gallon sump with a new 10 gallon using a better baffle kit. I replaced the plumbing with overflow using the Herbie setup to try to quite the pipes. Return added manifold to run reactors. This swap out was major pain but ultimately successful. Point of all this in relation to the thread is that I re-used about 50% old water when bringing up the new tank. Old tank was running 2 years.

Thanks for reading and sharing any thoughts

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae. Your sump area looks like it receives a lot of light and it's a clear tube. Exit tube more nutrient free.

OP
OP
R

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks TCook but usually the sump is dark as enclosed and not running a refugium. I think it bright just from the work light I turn on when working in the sump. Agree most likely algae just not sure why it’s growing here. And if it is really nutrient enriched why after passing through filer sock and skimmer to get into return plumbing first.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running the carbon directly from the drain line for the overflow? It could start getting dirty a lot faster because there is no filter sock to catch any algae or detritus and it just gets stuck to the tube

OP
OP
R

RyansReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running the carbon directly from the drain line for the overflow? It could start getting dirty a lot faster because there is no filter sock to catch any algae or detritus and it just gets stuck to the tube
No this is tee off return manifold. Overflow drains through a sock and into chamber that has a skimmer.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it is off the return manifold not the drain. Some of these film algae don't require much light. Can also be Some of the yellowing pigments in the water embedding in that tubing. Carbon removes these so not in the outlet tube.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back