Growing a reef in the middle of nowhere

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in eastern Oregon where there are no fish shops for miles around and no clubs with that, being in this hoby has been a difficult challenge.

I got into keeping fish about 3 years ago with a 10 gallon freshwater tank that changed to a 55 planted freshwater tank within the year. I moved into a bigger apartment in the same complex and got rid of the 10 in January of 2016. Because of my fiancé's schooling and job opportunities for me, we moved back to the town we graduated from and I got rid of my freshwater fish, plants, and substrate to start my own saltwater tank.

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

I already had a power filter and heater that I could also use with my new selection of fish. And obviously the tank and my stand which was a good stand for a freshwater tank, but for saltwater it was lacking the ability of using a sump. So I was in need of a protein skimmer, test kit, salt, glass canopies, lights, sand, rock, and powerheads. The protein skimmer I started with was the Instant Ocean SeaClone Protein Skimmer and this was a piece of crap that never stopped cycling so it got tossed. For a test kit a got the Instant Ocean Hydrometer and I'm looking at getting a refractometer right now (don't rip on the hydrometer because I've heard enough) and for chemicals I got API tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, and hardness. For marine salt I started with Kent marine salt and am going to be switching to Salinity in the month. Glass canopies were simple enough to get and I also got a wood canopy to hide to equipment hanging on the back. Lights took me a while to decide on, I was debating either T-5s, LED, or both but ultimately ended with two
WIFI Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum For Live Fish Tank Reef Coral by PopularGrow. I ended up with oolite sand from caribsea and their South Sea Base Rock. For powerheads I got two maxi jets 900.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the process and I'm going to save the current status for another posting.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a couple miles outside of Buffalo, MO. Yeah, it's a drive to a LFS, but these days, you can get just about anything via the internet.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to buy good equipment and some spares (heater and pumps).
I've use the salinity for a year and I don't think it worth the extra cost.

OP
OP
Sean Shimer

Sean Shimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I got my tank up and running in July of 2016, I had a crappy minimum wage job and was living with my parents again. So I was using cheap gear that has all been upgraded except for the lights. But now I'm making close to $20 an hour so I'm moving out into an apartment with my fiancé and I have to downsize my tank thanks to their policy. Thankfully I only have a pair of clowns and a lawnmower blenny that's medium sized. Then of course my clean up crew that's a variety of things.
My problem is that I want to start over and do things right with this new smaller aquarium, so I've ordered RedSea test kits and a refractometer. My main problem is finding an aquarium I like that's around 20 gallons. The lfs had 2 AquaTop 24 gallon kits (http://www.aquatop.com/aquatop-reef-cube-stand-combo.html) that included all the equipment needed and I don't really want that as I've already got everything (some of which is their products) but wouldn't complain too badly, just to get the ok from the future Mrs. and she's already said "no." So I'm looking for a reef ready tank or an all in one system that's 20-25 gallons and less than $300. As for salt, they said they think the large (220 gallons?) bucket of Salinity was $70, so for me I see that as being a better route than Red Sea Coral Pro salt at $72 for 175 gallons that I'd have to order online. I'm also looking at getting an RODI unit that I don't really have to mount as I doubt my soon to be landlord will appreciate it. I was particularly looking at the Aquatic Life Twist-In 4-stage unit (http://www.coralfishsupplies.com/re...fe-twist-in-100-gpd-4-stage-ro-di-system.html).

So about the end of April I'll be taking down my 55 and putting it in storage to turn into a QT system in the future when I get a nice big 300+ tank.
IMG_1587.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back