GSM laid eggs

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share here. I got a nice little surprise last night. When feeding the tank I noticed that the normally food frenzied male GSM did not really move from his nem. upon closer inspection, I saw him aggressively attack anything coming near, and thats when I noticed a funny colored mass on the backside of the rock. They laid a clutch of eggs.

YAY!!!!

I used to have a black Occ in the tank as well. I often thought that these 2 were not laying b/c of this other presence. A couple weeks back they beat the little guy to near death before I saw and was able to remove it.(Very little previous aggression). So I wonder if I was right and now they are happy and feel sae enough to lay.

Anyway, got any advice on possibly raising these little critters?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!This is awesome!!!LOL

Well,if you can remove the eggs from the tank,you will need to place them into a small tank with rotifers and live phyto.After doing that,you will need to add phyto and rotifers and keep the density of them up...

After about 8-9 days or so,add some BBS,and then just keep adding rots and phyto,the fish will grow pretty fast,and go through meta pretty fast also.

After they reach the size of a grain of rice,start feeding some cyclops and more BBS along with crushed flake foods!Color will be awesome!

LMK if I can help further.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate to send you to a different site, but over on nano-reef.com there is a thread in the fish section that is 62 pages of great info on clown breeding. i used it to help me with my pairs i am trying to breed. Clowns101 is an invaluable source of info. helped me out alot.

OP
OP
robharold

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. I had no expectations of being able to attempt raising fry just wanted to share my excitement that they laid. I will look at possibly trying to raise fry on a future batch. These are gone now, so either hatched and got eaten or something managed to get there and eat them up before hand.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have hatched I would say,not much of anything eats the eggs(nemo is so stero typed,LOL)The parents will eat the eggs if they are imperfect or male didnt do his job right the female will make him clean up his mess and wait till next time ;)

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have hatched I would say,not much of anything eats the eggs(nemo is so stero typed,LOL)The parents will eat the eggs if they are imperfect or male didnt do his job right the female will make him clean up his mess and wait till next time ;)

Cannibalism, yummy...

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change water for raising rots and phyto plus the fry tank, say 10 gallons? I want to try breeding, but I'd like to get an idea of how much it is to see if I can afford to raise some clowns. Also, I work 10am to 7:30 and don't get home till 8. Is there enough time in the day for me to maintain raising the clowns? I haven't seen my pair lay anything yet, but I've had them around 1 1/2 years so they might start doing a little dance for me.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a guide to raising phyto and rotifers in the first reef club forum alphabetically (ARK) , and I would also like to mention that I have both for sale, but take that to pm if you want more info.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 104 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 82 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back