inside this...

RonArnone-1.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The struggle is real. I cleaned that crap week after week for a year till I gave up on my DIY scrubber. Shoulda bought one from you instead of the trial and error. I’m pretty sure I would have beaten it had I found better lighting options. My ats was sized for the job correctly

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer no
Yea pulled out dark skimmate. Ats produced a full screen (12x10) every week 1/2 inch thick algae each side, good water weight even. Just really dark brown slime algae over the GHA. Nice green color always grew on the vertical edges.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates we’re good but nitrates remained on the high side. Lowest I got was 30ppm highest was around 80. Always a roller coaster between 30-80 then water change screen scrape and back to 30 for a week. I did not carbon dose back then but maybe I should have, to help the ats out.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to get greener growth? I'm trying to avoid more waterchanges to get the growth down. Does the dark growth pull out more nutrients than green growth?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how to get greener growth? I'm trying to avoid more waterchanges to get the growth down. Does the dark growth pull out more nutrients than green growth?
The dark slime restricted my green hair algae from doing its job

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dark growth needs more light. But if you clean it every 3 days it will filter a lot.
I'm currently running it on a 23 hour schedule, so more light isn't an option. I don't think I can clean it every 3 days because even the slime has not grown quickly. I could clean once a week at most. To be perfectly honest, I have been underwhelmed be the performance the last 12 months.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current IC Pros. Not strong, but great for my softie tank. I figured that the LEDs in the HOG should be much stronger than the IC Pros.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the red spectrum is lacking a bit idk. if it needs more light, duration and intensity are the only ways I know how.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, why is this in the macro forum?

I don't do scrubbers because they are just nuisance algae factories. But I have found dark nasty algae on chaeto to be directly related to flow rate. If the flow rate is high enough, nothing but chaeto grows in my chamber and it is always immaculately clean. Slow flow rate and dark slimy nasty algae like that dominates and it does hinder nitrate uptake in my experience. I'm not sure if the hair algae will handle the higher flow rate though.

Last edited:
Back