Gulf rock arrived, but looks mostly dead. Any opinions?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this bounce back? I knew they weren't going to be submerged, but I at least expected them to be wrapped and wet.

Theres also a couple of bi-valves (looks like mussles?) which I'm wondering if I keep?

1000006485.jpg
20240521_173121.jpg
20240521_173138.jpg
20240521_173144.jpg
20240521_173157.jpg

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did this come from? And it wasn't shipped wet? Did it arrive completely dry?

Note: this is NOT exactly what you want. If it was still wet when it arrived, it should have die-off of the macrofauna on the outside, but still going to have the bacterial diversity you're looking for on the inside. Some of the outside life might persist, but I'd expect any sponges, tunicates and corals to die. Bivalves also might be hard pressed depending on how long they were dry. Have you had an ammonium spike since introducing it to the tank?

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock doesn’t look too bad. And you’d be surprised what might pop up or show up even months down the road. By the way where’d you get it from?
I got it from Gulfliverock. They just filled the box and laid a wet paper towel across the top instead of actually wrapping each rock. There was maybe 3oz of water at the bottom of the container with a 1" pistol or mantis, and a couple of baby brittlestars fighting over it.

I know the crazy stuff you'll see after a couple months, so I'm hoping the inside of the rocks trapped some water and critters.

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from Gulfliverock. They just filled the box and laid a wet paper towel across the top instead of actually wrapping each rock. There was maybe 3oz of water at the bottom of the container with a 1" pistol or mantis, and a couple of baby brittlestars fighting over it.

I know the crazy stuff you'll see after a couple months, so I'm hoping the inside of the rocks trapped some water and critters.
So it was wet. That is exactly how it comes. If your expecting it to be drenched that’s not gonna happen due to gravity.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m a little surprised and disappointed to hear how it was packed. I got a 20 lb order from them last November and all the rocks were wrapped with a fair amount of water. Sounds like someone just took the lazy way out to pack.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little surprised and disappointed to hear how it was packed. I got a 20 lb order from them last November and all the rocks were wrapped with a fair amount of water. Sounds like someone just took the lazy way out to pack.
That's how I've always seen them packed. Idk why Im always the chosen one, lol. Amazon even delivered my sand a day late and to the wrong address, so it was a scramble getting it all together today.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate, and I'm mentally logging that away about Gulfliverock for the future. I know that when they don't ship submerged, it is meant to be wet with paper towels, but that seems like, sorry to say, just lazy packaging.

I would imagine that fully wrapping the rocks with wet paper towels would at least help with the sponge/tunicate populations that don't particularly like exposure to air. I would imagine it also helps in trapping moisture inside the rocks.

On the plus side, it looks as if you have a viable gorg and macroalgae, so that's a plus!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many days did it take to ship? Overnight moist and not too warm/cold, you will be surprised what can survive. If it sits in the box for several days is when you expect more die off.

Does it smell? Are you monitoring ammonia in the tank? Personally when I received moist rock like this I would vat cure it and inspect/remove things that I knew were dead like sponges that smelled or turned black. My rock would usually cycled in a few weeks.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days did it take to ship? Overnight moist and not too warm/cold, you will be surprised what can survive. If it sits in the box for several days is when you expect more die off.

Does it smell? Are you monitoring ammonia in the tank? Personally when I received moist rock like this I would vat cure it and inspect/remove things that I knew were dead like sponges that smelled or turned black. My rock would usually cycled in a few weeks.
It was UPS overnight so fairly quick and around 80F where I live. There wasn't much of a smell, which I took as a good sign. I do not monitor ammonia and do not have a test kit for it.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was wet. That is exactly how it comes. If your expecting it to be drenched that’s not gonna happen due to gravity.
I never said I expected them to be drenched, just not dry to the touch.

If I'm paying $200 for a literal box of rocks, they can spare the $0.30 worth of paper towels and take 3 minutes to individually wrap them. That would keep them plenty moist for the 18hr trip. I don't think that's being unreasonable.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My pest tank is rockin'
1716332127609.jpeg

It does look good. But you are likely the rare example. Pretty much every time someone posts they got a mantis shrimp or aiptasia etc in that rock. Hard pass.

Back