Hair algae choking my acan lord

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a acan lord that is at risk of hair algae taking over. I have tried picking some of the hair algae off with my fingers but some of it is growing on and inside of the skeleton of the colony and it is not allowing the tissue of the acan to extend.

How do I get rid of this before it becomes catastrophic? Its not a really bad problem now but this is by far my favorite acan and I want to take preventive measures before it becomes unresolvable. Thanks

29nt9ps.jpg

toddman74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try do what I do:
1. get a fish breeder container (the kind that you hang inside the tank to separate the fishes).
2. get a mexican turbo snail larger size one.
3. take your acan colony and put it in the breeder container along with the turbo snail. Don't feed either for about 1 week and the algea will be diminished.

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cowries are known to eat corals... I'd go after the cause of the problem, possibly too long a photoperiod and/or high phosphates, otherwise the algae will just keep coming back. What kind of lights do you have, and how long are they on for? What kind of skimmer and how often are the water changes? How often are you feeding?
In the meantime, careful manual removal with a toothbrush might be the best way to go for now

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Preuss Pets
They are in Lansing Michigan, thats the only place I have seen them.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Many cowries are carnivores and should be avoided. They mainly feed on sponges and corals (especially the egg cowries). Exceptions are Cypraea annulus, gold ringed cowrie, and C. moneta, money cowrie, which are both herbivores. The tiger cowrie, C. tigris may also be herbivorous. "

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Many cowries are carnivores and should be avoided. They mainly feed on sponges and corals (especially the egg cowries). Exceptions are Cypraea annulus, gold ringed cowrie, and C. moneta, money cowrie, which are both herbivores. The tiger cowrie, C. tigris may also be herbivorous. "

I have the gold ring cowrie

OP
OP
Nht

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I actually do have a large mexican turbo snail. Im going to try it. I know they eat film algae but I thought that they didnt touch hair algae. ANyone heard of sea hares being good for hair algae?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back