Hair Algae Got Me Wanting To Pull Out My Hair

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks brand new, have you even had any algae on the glass yet? Typically, you would want to see some algae, but it looks like you simply left the lights on for too long during your cycling or had them on their highest intensity. You have to time the CUC right along with the correct light schedule to prevent what you have done. It is not too far gone. You can pull out everything, scrub, etc., but need to lower your intensity or length you are running the lights.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last tested; today
Ammonia; 0, Nitrite; 0, Nitrate; 0, Ph; 8 (I know that is on the lower side but no matter how long I use Ph up it just stays at 8), Calcium; 400-500, Phosphate; 0.25
Age; over 3 months
3 months and zero nitrates. Unfortunately a bad level, stuff starves.

Pest stuff loves zero nitrate, higher end phosphate.

Both need to be stable and available to feed the good guys, who, once in sufficient quantities, will go a long way in out competing the pest crap.

You’ll have to clean it out manually and put chemistry in check.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like nobody either watched your video or have no clue what they are looking at. Having watched your video, it looks to me like you want to set up a macro algae tank, or at least a tank including macro algae as there are plenty of other macro algae visible. If that is true this means in general you will need to set up a tank that grows algae, which will also include GHA. Manual removal, finding the right herbivores that prefer GHA over the other algae, and more biomass (some leathers, musrooms) growing on the rocks that can compete with the GHA and patience would in that case be my advice.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going for a macroalgae tank? If so just chop it down and it will look natural. Doesnt look terrible to me. If you plan on adding corals you will need an alternate place for crud to grow. I have an algae scrubber and get very little algae in my tank. Likes the scrubber too much to grow anywhere else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A lot of suggestions here and we dont even see a pic of the algae. Please post a pic of the tank under white lighting intensity.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I figured I'd post to the invert forum just because most of our inverts are clean-up crew. Anyway, I am having a big issue with hair algae and I want to know if anyone has recommendations for anything that will just destroy it all. My tank is 20 gal so I know that I am limited in stocking options but if anyone has recomendations I greatly appreciate it!!!
Have you thought about an algae turf scrubber? It would grow the algae under tank rather than in it. You could also a lawnmower blenny or a rabbit fish to eat it.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos is dope
No Rowaphos !! Phospahates are too low and nitrates are at zero . Nitrates need to come up to at least 10ppm and phosphates I would keep around 0.1 . Never let these two parameters zero out or you will end up with problems . Manual removal of gha and or tuxedo urchins or Mexican turbos or both .

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought with that covering the silicone on the bottom edge of tank , over 1.5 years. Did a rip clean with peroxide, gha and all its nasty cousins hasn’t ’t returned, coral looks better. BB tank and that algae wasn’t budging. Previous urchin didn’t dent it, three types of snails. Some crazy stuff, gha, ulva, some sort of tubular, red turf stuff. Manual removal worked.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me:

3 day black out
Buy a toothbrush start scrubbin
Add a metric **** ton of snails

And problem solved for awhile. Snails will keep up with it once you do most of the heavy lifting, and 3 day black out (longer works better) will give CUC time to get the roots before it starts growing again.

You’re always going to have some until the tank is older, and probably more after that too, but that’s what I found works the most consistent as an immediate solution.

….then you get to deal with the OTHER fun algae’s that take its place and snails won’t eat like cyano… enjoy while it’s just GHA cause dinos, and cyano are the worst.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Rowaphos !! Phospahates are too low and nitrates are at zero . Nitrates need to come up to at least 10ppm and phosphates I would keep around 0.1 . Never let these two parameters zero out or you will end up with problems . Manual removal of gha and or tuxedo urchins or Mexican turbos or both .
Phosphates prolly aren’t 0 I thought the same when I was fighting them. Put in rowaphos knocked it back and now phosphates are back and stable

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back