Hair Algae! I think?

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm relatively new to reefing and have come a cross a very difficult problem, I have hair algae everywhere in my tank! At least I believe it's hair algae, it doesn't look as long and as stringy as pictures I see, but it's green and really difficult to remove. I'm extremely worried about my zoa frag, which has this algae covering it. I don't know how to remove it from the zoa without damaging it, and I don't know how to remove the stuff anyway. I've read that emerald crabs and lawnmower blennies can help, but I only have a 3.3 gallon tank, which websites like saltwaterfish.com say that a 3.3 gallon tank is too small for both of these! I've also read that putting a little hydrogen peroxide in the tank can weaken it, and make it easier to remove. But, I'm too scared that I'll put too much in and kill everything. Help me please!

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you’ve definitely got a high maintenance tank in something that small. Weekly water changes will absolutely be necessary. Over feeding must be avoided. I would tackle the hair algae on your zoas simply by removing the frag and adding hydrogen peroxide directly to the hair algae. You’ll see that the hair algae turns white and dies. You’ll be battling nutrient issues for the life of a tank that small. I have a tank similar to that size that houses a large colony of euphylia corals, a clownfish and camel back shrimp. This tank is what I consider an experts tank as I really have to keep my eye on it, as the water parameters simply change so quickly. You can do this just plan on a lot of maintenance and weekly if not biweekly water changes.

OP
OP
S

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you so much! How much Hydrogen Peroxide do I use? And when you say remove the frag do you mean take it out of the tank? I'm sorry, I'm so new to this and I might ask a lot of questions.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use a small syringe and directly apply the hydrogen peroxide to the algae. I use the regular 3% peroxide. Try to apply it only to the algae. If it takes a few applications that’s fine. The algae should die quickly. Your tank clean up crew should also become interested in the algae post the hydrogen peroxide application. This should be a quick fix on the algae.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be easier for you. Just use a ratio of 1part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts rodi water. Dip the entire zoa frag into the solution for at least 5-10min. You will see lots of bubbles forming . Remove the frag. Blow it off gently with some saltwater and then put it back in your tank in an area with lower light and moderate flow. The zoas will be fine. Alternatively if you want to try the other method I mentioned and you don’t have a syringe, simply dip a qtip into the hydrogen peroxide and then touch the algae. Whatever is easiest for you.

OP
OP
S

Shrimpz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you do much, you have no idea how much this has helped!

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that method with the hydrogen peroxide, and it did help a little bit, but I found since then that a very light brushing with a very soft bottlebrush remove the hair algae from the frag once you touch the zoa with the brush it closes up so it is protected I’ve done it several times

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, brushing it off can work also. Clearly there are many methods for removing hair algae. Ultimately you’ll want to get your nutrient levels in check otherwise the stuff will come back. I’m happy the peroxide is helping you out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back