hair algae in nano tank prolbem

firemike2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys I got problem I recently lost my clown fish and feather duster now I have high ammonia strike at 1.0 and phosphate is at 0.25 maybe a little higher tank been running for 4 months nitrite and nitrates are at 0 ph 8.2 trying to figure out why Im getting hair algae diatom bloom can anyone help ive recently switched water to ro/di water been picking it up at my lfs Im thinking its going through another big cycle I still have my cleaner shrimp

Attachments

• 1800306_832867616739106_61184325_n.jpg
    1800306_832867616739106_61184325_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 218

straydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tuxedo urchin may help out your cleanup crew. Is there a process of nutrent removel in the system like macro algae ,skimmer or turf scrubber

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any of your rock recently died? Do you have a skimmer?
It sounds like your tank is trying to cycle. Do water changes frequently. Do you have CUC?

Mikefromaz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm..... cut way back on nutrients. If you don't have coral or anything else that depends on light, cut way back on your photoperiod. Do lots of water changes. A bag of Purigen in a high flow area will go a long way towards dropping your nitrates, however not a substitute for good housekeeping. After all that....if you can get a lawnmower Benny. One major mistake that we all make in our early enthusiasm is to overdue just about everything....too much food.....too much light....overstock. ... Always make small changes (unless you are in trouble) and carefully observe the results. Good water movement and a protein skimmer are mandatory. Hope that helps.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your stock list? Do you have any mechanical filtration? My guess the ammonia spike was caused by the dead fish. Water changes are your best friend for literally every problem in this hobby, well almost every problem..

Have you recently added any new rock? If so, like stated above, your tank could possibly be going through a mini cycle. Diatoms on your rock are a pretty good indicator that some sort of cycle is occuring. Also, 4 months isn't a very long time for a tank to be running. All tanks go through an "ugly stage" when they are young. Your tank could possibly be going through that stage. If you don't have any corals, shut your lights completely off for a few days, wrap your tank in a blanket, making sure ZERO light is getting into the tank.

Again, water changes, water changes and MORE water changes. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

firemike2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing I changed is swiching to ro/di wate and I have just recently gotten a hang on protein skimmer havnt really figured that out yet ive left the light off the tank for 24 hours so far I might have over stocked it to much at beginning with snails hermit crabs and one fish and a feather duster never had the chance to get any corals yet been wanting to make sure my tank is nice and healthy before I put it in I have charcoal and denitrate as mechanical filtration and whats a cuc in sand I get air bubbles in it is that part of a cycling too im new to this kind of hobby

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing I changed is swiching to ro/di wate and I have just recently gotten a hang on protein skimmer havnt really figured that out yet ive left the light off the tank for 24 hours so far I might have over stocked it to much at beginning with snails hermit crabs and one fish and a feather duster never had the chance to get any corals yet been wanting to make sure my tank is nice and healthy before I put it in I have charcoal and denitrate as mechanical filtration and whats a cuc in sand I get air bubbles in it is that part of a cycling too im new to this kind of hobby

Soo stocking is NOT your problem, seeing as you have 1 fish. CUC=clean up crew (snails, hermits, etc.). If your sand is still releasing bubbles, then it's definitely cycling. Those bubbles are gasses being released by bacteria trying to establish itself in the tank (yes its beneficial bacteria). Search AND Research The Nitrogen cycle.

Mikefromaz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Air bubbles are a very good thing. Actually they are nitrogen gas, the final product of the nitrogen cycle. I'm thinking you might see a bubble escaping the sand.

OP
OP
F

firemike2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks I proby did to much of a change and made a huge cycle start just hope my cleaner shrimp makes it through it how do I get rid of hair algae whats the best way

RyanAbuhoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like it was said above, keep your lights off for a couple of days and wrap it in a blanket so that no light can get in.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 35 38.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back