Hair algae infested zoas

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. I have a zoa colony being over run by hair algae. What is the best way to proceed? I cant really get to the hair algae because it's in between the zoas.

As always thank you in advance

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. I have a zoa colony being over run by hair algae. What is the best way to proceed? I cant really get to the hair algae because it's in between the zoas.

As always thank you in advance
I just took care of a zoa rock with the exact same problem Saturday, I couldn't even see the zoas in the algae. I took the rock out and picked off as much as I could with tweezers then I dabbed what I couldn't get to with hydrogen peroxide on a qtip. After a quick rinse in saltwater I put them back in the tank and they are now algae free.

20190520_214520.jpg

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tweezer to go in between the polyps and rip it off. Or half hydrogen peroxide half tank water dip for 2-3 minutes. After that dip rinse zoas off in tank water. Zoas will be ticked for a day or two but all the hair algae will disappear within a few days.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tweezer to go in between the polyps and rip it off. Or half hydrogen peroxide half tank water dip for 2-3 minutes. After that dip rinse zoas off in tank water. Zoas will be ****** for a day or two but all the hair algae will disappear within a few days.
I've done this before with success. It will definitely **** off the zoas for a couple of days. I've only had one small colony melt away after doing this but they weren't in good shape to begin with.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I will try that. I was also thinking some nopox and wait to see how that turns out. I haven't tried that yet because I know zoas like dirty water and didnt want to strip the nutrients

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back