Hammer coral shrinking

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I have had a branching hammer coral that was happy nice and open and in the last 2 weeks it was looking a bit of started having the branshes turning white.

Parameters
Ph 8.3
Kh 9
Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
PO4 0.02ppm or less
Tank is 3 months old

Experienceing no fluctuations in parameters. I have another hammer but it looks as happy as can be and very relaxed.

IMG_20210326_143952.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe let the phosphates increase slightly. Have you tried different locations in the tank? Maybe the flow or lighting is bothering it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO hammers are very touchy. Mine slowly shrunk down until it died of BJD. Possibly location, maybe disease. Best thing to do is experiment with location. What other corals do you have? Are they reacting poorly to anything? If so, it could be a param issue. However, seeing that this has been a slow thing over the course of two weeks, it seems like it just doesn't like something in your tank. Unfortunately, it looks to be on its way out. Then again, I've seen corals pull through before, so experimenting with location seems to be your best bet.

OP
OP
L

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe let the phosphates increase slightly. Have you tried different locations in the tank? Maybe the flow or lighting is bothering it.
I have tried different locations, placed it under an ovehang now, thought the light might have been to to much for it.

OP
OP
L

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO hammers are very touchy. Mine slowly shrunk down until it died of BJD. Possibly location, maybe disease. Best thing to do is experiment with location. What other corals do you have? Are they reacting poorly to anything? If so, it could be a param issue. However, seeing that this has been a slow thing over the course of two weeks, it seems like it just doesn't like something in your tank. Unfortunately, it looks to be on its way out. Then again, I've seen corals pull through before, so experimenting with location seems to be your best bet.
I have another hammer wall building kind, zoas and green star polyp. They all seem happy and healty it is just that one.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like dipping it?
I diped it in an iodine solution earlier today.

How will iodine effect the fish in the tank?
Don’t dose iodine unless you can test for it. Super easy to overdose. I have never heard of hammers being finicky. That said, a 3 month old tank is probably too young to support LPS well. I don’t know that but it’s my guess. I had mine running for 7 years before I got anything but zoa. But then I’m paranoid. What kind of tank do you have? Some lights I’ve seen hammers don’t care for.

OP
OP
L

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dose iodine unless you can test for it. Super easy to overdose. I have never heard of hammers being finicky. That said, a 3 month old tank is probably too young to support LPS well. I don’t know that but it’s my guess. I had mine running for 7 years before I got anything but zoa. But then I’m paranoid. What kind of tank do you have? Some lights I’ve seen hammers don’t care for.
128L boyu tl550 tank.
Comes with led lights, blue and white light.
No I do not have an iodine test kit.

OP
OP
L

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be anything you did. Sometimes coral just dies. Hammers can regrow though so don’t toss the skeleton
Seriously? thats kinda awsome.

It just bithers me because it hasnt lost any color on its polups which should be the fist place you see sommthing is wrong if I am not mistaken

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like dipping it?
I diped it in an iodine solution earlier today.

How will iodine effect the fish in the tank?
No not dipping, mine always seemed to perk up after I dose a drop of the continuum.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? thats kinda awsome.

It just bithers me because it hasnt lost any color on its polups which should be the fist place you see sommthing is wrong if I am not mistaken
Not sure. But I had candy canes straight up die and now they’re 20+ heads. Also my blasto is regrowing two heads that died for no reason. LPS coral has amazing regeneration ability

OP
OP
L

Louwritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. But I had candy canes straight up die and now they’re 20+ heads. Also my blasto is regrowing two heads that died for no reason. LPS coral has amazing regeneration ability
Thank you, will leave it if it doesn't make it.
A friend just told me it should be fine its just re-adjusting after being moved now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back