Hanna a reagents are horrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn't the kh reagent in a dropper bottle so you don't have to use a syringe?
I mean, 7 (or 8 or whatever) drops are 1.0 ml too. So much easier if you could drop it.

By the way, anyone found out what the reagent is? I'll bet the real value is like 3 cents if you know what stuff it is.
Ueah … no.
A those have to be somereally fat drops meaning the openong has to be huge. Meqning it will be a nightmare to apply consistently. Syringe is so much better. On top the even include 1ml sampling pipete so the actual syringe does not foul…

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checkers are a hobby grade test kit. Do you think that for £70 you are going to get lab grade equipment?
Go on to Hanna website, the aquatic side of their equipment is miniscule compared to their science and medical field. The only thing cheap on their website is to do with the aquatic side of their business. That tells you that you are only getting cheap kit, they are not going to bring out a calcium test kit for an aquarium that costs £1000 because nobody would buy it, so hence we have the pocket checkers which are cheap and cheerful and not very accurate/consistent (but good enough for our use) and give a digital read.
A hobby grade test kit is exactly that, hobby grade, whether its salifert, red sea, elos, whatever, the only difference between Hanna and everything else is the fact its a digital readout, which for some who have poor eyesight or find it hard to see colour change, its a godsend.
A hanna alk checker may read 8.0 but given its stated accuracy it could be 7.5 or 8.5, is that any better than a Salifert test kit? no it's not.
So please stop thinking the Hanna checkers are this holy grail of manual testing, they are not.
Hanna and the other test kits are worth their salt including (Lamonte- lab grade kits) do work well. The resolution of Hanna is better. You may have forgotten regents have a shelf life and air/moisture degrades liquid reagents. As far as hanna goes you can use calibration standards kit to verify your meters accuracy. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi75...rds-for-hi755-hanna-checker-marine-water.html For Ca and Magnesium I prefer Red sea Pro kits. Now to address your Laboratory/medical grade test setups, they have ZERO practical use in the Aquarium Hobby. IMO most complaints about a particular test kit come from lack of knowledge as it pertains to that tester and or understanding what effects the test results. Example: If I do not use my ALK. reagent within a certain time after opening and before exp. date it will read Higher than actual value . And Yes this IS Hanna DKH test reagent. Point is ( Reagents are affected by air/moisture)

I hope this clears up your mus-understandings. Cheers

Last edited:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the contradiction?????
You were referring to lab grade test setups at (1000 pound cost level) should be use in the aquarium hobby. Those are not pratical. IMO The other Test kits mentioned here are used in our hobby and some are said to be lab grade. But Achording to you these test kits mentioned by me and your self were not lab grade test kits. PS: Test kits under $100 usd can be very accurate and Yes Hanna is one of them. PS: Are you familiar with Lamontte kits? They are like red sea and salifert . hope this clears it up for yah.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were referring to lab grade test setups at (1000 pound cost level) should be use in the aquarium hobby. Those are not pratical. IMO The other Test kits mentioned here are used in our hobby and some are said to be lab grade. But Achording to you these test kits mentioned by me and your self were not lab grade test kits. PS: Test kits under $100 usd can be very accurate and Yes Hanna is one of them. PS: Are you familiar with Lamontte kits? They are like red sea and salifert . hope this clears it up for yah.
Then tell me why my Hanna all kit is always way higher than my ICP tests. Way higher than what they say the accuracy is. I'll give one thing, it's off by the same amount all the time. So.......I use it as a reference only. No one will ever tell me how great this hobby test kit is. They had a major problem with their reagents for a while. They were all over the place. Drink their cool ade. I'm not.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then tell me why my Hanna all kit is always way higher than my ICP tests. Way higher than what they say the accuracy is. I'll give one thing, it's off by the same amount all the time. So.......I use it as a reference only. No one will ever tell me how great this hobby test kit is. They had a major problem with their reagents for a while. They were all over the place. Drink their cool ade. I'm not.
How do you know the icp test is correct?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't believe people put soooo much faith in these testers and are so adamant that it's a lab grade quality tester! To the point of thinking an ICP test is wrong and Hanna is God's gift to testing. Y'all jump on one leg, hold you're tongue the right way and all these other silly thing you do to make the test come out right. Then say it's user error. Pshaw!

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is fun, isn't it?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is fun, isn't it?
This may be so, but they are testing these items with something. I'm quite sure it's not a Hanna tester.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know the icp test is correct?

It’s a good question we should all be asking about any test we use.

How do you know it's not? Think I'd put my money on the ICP over a $50 Hanna.

How do YOU know? I’m not saying icp is not accurate but to not acknowledge that it may have inaccuracies is just silly. You have decided to put your faith in icp, that’s cool. Others decide to put their faith elsewhere when it comes to testing, that’s cool too. Plenty of beautiful reefs using all different test methods.

Just cause it cost more does not mean that it’s more accurate. Though companies would like you to believe that.

I really can't believe people put soooo much faith in these testers and are so adamant that it's a lab grade quality tester! To the point of thinking an ICP test is wrong and Hanna is God's gift to testing. Y'all jump on one leg, hold you're tongue the right way and all these other silly thing you do to make the test come out right. Then say it's user error. Pshaw!

I really can’t believe that after a year you are still on the Hanna tester sucks train. We get it, you’re not a fan of Hanna. That’s great, get over it and don’t use it. Go do something helpful, this is just noise.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good question we should all be asking about any test we use.

How do YOU know? I’m not saying icp is not accurate but to not acknowledge that it may have inaccuracies is just silly. You have decided to put your faith in icp, that’s cool. Others decide to put their faith elsewhere when it comes to testing, that’s cool too. Plenty of beautiful reefs using all different test methods.

Just cause it cost more does not mean that it’s more accurate. Though companies would like you to believe that.

I really can’t believe that after a year you are still on the Hanna tester sucks train. We get it, you’re not a fan of Hanna. That’s great, get over it and don’t use it. Go do something helpful, this is just noise.
I didn't bring this old thread back up. I did start it and I'll answer to it. Don't like it? Move on.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be so, but they are testing these items with something. I'm quite sure it's not a Hanna tester.
They are testing them with something. A titration kit. Just like the Hanna or any other number of titration kits. Unless you ask them, you don't know.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the deal. As I use the test kit and the reagent gets older my alk climbs. I test at least three times a week.
This am I tested and got a 9.0 result. I opened a new reagent and re tested. 7.6. That's a huge difference!!!!
If I need a tester to check my tester, then what good is having it????
THIS is normal (after opening the bottle) after approx. 35days and or you have < 1/3 of a bottle and you do not test for more than a week, then degradation of the reagent accelerates. This has happened to me. All calibrated testors need to be checked periodically. That is why I use the Standards kit for this meter to verify results are true. ( NOT the meters fault) PS: I am not happy with the shelf life of the reagent after opening either. If you put under a vacuum after each use I bet it would last a lot longer. IMO when you expose a reagent to air it degrades. But hey $9 is cheap for 25 tests .
How do you know it's not? Think I'd put my money on the ICP over a $50 Hanna.
Adjust the end results of hanna by the DELTA of The ICP Test results. IMO real easy as I do this with hanna std. kit. HOPE THIS HELPS.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna and the other test kits are worth their salt including (Lamonte- lab grade kits) do work well. The resolution of Hanna is better. You may have forgotten regents have a shelf life and air/moisture degrades liquid reagents. As far as hanna goes you can use calibration standards kit to verify your meters accuracy. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi75...rds-for-hi755-hanna-checker-marine-water.html For Ca and Magnesium I prefer Red sea Pro kits. Now to address your Laboratory/medical grade test setups, they have ZERO practical use in the Aquarium Hobby. IMO most complaints about a particular test kit come from lack of knowledge as it pertains to that tester and or understanding what effects the test results. Example: If I do not use my ALK. reagent within a certain time after opening and before exp. date it will read Higher than actual value . And Yes this IS Hanna DKH test reagent. Point is ( Reagents are affected by air/moisture)

I hope this clears up your mus-understandings. Cheers
What misunderstandings are you referring to?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS is normal (after opening the bottle) after approx. 35days and or you have < 1/3 of a bottle and you do not test for more than a week, then degradation of the reagent accelerates. This has happened to me. All calibrated testors need to be checked periodically. That is why I use the Standards kit for this meter to verify results are true. ( NOT the meters fault) PS: I am not happy with the shelf life of the reagent after opening either. If you put under a vacuum after each use I bet it would last a lot longer. IMO when you expose a reagent to air it degrades. But hey $9 is cheap for 25 tests .

Adjust the end results of hanna by the DELTA of The ICP Test results. IMO real easy as I do this with hanna std. kit. HOPE THIS HELPS.
I test three times a week. It's not lack of use. Now I must say Hanna has done a much better job with their ALK reagents lately. No more drifting around with the #'s and no more little stringy things floating around. And that IS what this thread is about.

My Salifert and the ICP tests give me the same results which are a lot lower than Hannah's.
So........I do adjust. But for $50 I shouldn't have to. Salifert kit is about $15.
Honestly if the reagent wasn't so bad I would have blindly been testing away with Hanna and never thought about it. ALK is too important for that discrepancy. I went as far as buying another kit thinking mine was old. Both the same.
Before people start going on again about procedure being bad let me say this.
If you test with the same procedure and keep getting the same results then all of a sudden the results are all over the place, procedure has nothing to do with it. There something wrong with either the tester or the reagent. Plenty of people have complained about the AlK reagent to warrant the reagent issue. Nuff said, I'm done with this thread.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test three times a week. It's not lack of use. Now I must say Hanna has done a much better job with their ALK reagents lately. No more drifting around with the #'s and no more little stringy things floating around. And that IS what this thread is about.

My Salifert and the ICP tests give me the same results which are a lot lower than Hannah's.
So........I do adjust. But for $50 I shouldn't have to. Salifert kit is about $15.
Honestly if the reagent wasn't so bad I would have blindly been testing away with Hanna and never thought about it. ALK is too important for that discrepancy. I went as far as buying another kit thinking mine was old. Both the same.
Before people start going on again about procedure being bad let me say this.
If you test with the same procedure and keep getting the same results then all of a sudden the results are all over the place, procedure has nothing to do with it. There something wrong with either the tester or the reagent. Plenty of people have complained about the AlK reagent to warrant the reagent issue. Nuff said, I'm done with this thread.
Please re-read my post. It is not "YOUR" lack of use that is an issue relative to test results, it is the time that the Reagent is exposed to air/moisture. Follow our recommendations as they refer to the maintenance/testing protocols or not. We tried to help you, but you seem to ignore all constructive advice. Did you really want advise/help here or just had a need to ????? PS: Please grab some cheese to go with your Merlot and enjoy . To quote you in flavor only "Nuff said" Happy Reefing

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please re-read my post. It is not "YOUR" lack of use that is an issue relative to test results, it is the time that the Reagent is exposed to air/moisture. Follow our recommendations as they refer to the maintenance/testing protocols or not. We tried to help you, but you seem to ignore all constructive advice. Did you really want advise/help here or just had a need to ????? PS: Please grab some cheese to go with your Merlot and enjoy . To quote you in flavor only "Nuff said" Happy Reefing
Did you happen to read through the post before inserting your precious 2 cents on this old thread????? I doubt it because you know more than everyone.
Now, go back and read through it and then you'll see I never once asked for one bit of help here, yet I got all the advice one can stand from people like you.
I know you won't cause people like you are never wrong, so I'll explain it to you.
I don't get on here looking for advice. The main reason is if one asks a question one gets 8000 different answers to anything. Everyone has that desire to be right even when they don't have a clue as to what they're doing. Just read through the posts to back that theory up.
I got on here to see if anyone else was having the same problems with this tester.
If you bothered to read through the thread you would have seen that there are others experiencing issues just like mine.
Go argue on another thread that people care about what you say.
You dug this thread out of remission just throw you're egotistical knowledge around.
I know what I know and someone like you will not tell me I don't. Don't like a thread????? Move on and let it be. But you can't.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back