Hanna testers?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling hair algae and loosing. I only have the Salifert testers and with the color guessing game its a crap shoot to figure out where im at.
From what I can tell im at 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate because of the GHA. I turned off the skimmer and have been feeding twice as much for 4 weeks with no improvement.
I dont want to take rocks out to scrub. I have tried to pick it out and suck it up, its REALLY on there and I can only pull off small parts here and there. I have an emerald crab and hermits and snails but they dont touch it.
Tank is a JBJ45 AIO thats been setup for maybe 4 months now with fish and a bit of corals.

What Hanna testers should I be looking to get and track info to get this under control? I hear the Nitrate and Phosphate are good but which ones? HR, ULR?
I am not sure testing accuracy is the issue. You have a GHA infestation and this could be zeroing out the nitrate and phosphate. If you think this bunk, yeah, definitely try another test to confirm the numbers. The Salifert tests though are pretty good though. 0 nitrate and phosphate is likely to be very low levels of both. Maybe think about dealing with the algae rather than buying mor test kits. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe think about dealing with the algae rather than buying more test kits. Just a thought.
I have been trying to rip out as much as possible but it always comes back in less than a week. I can rip out the long pieces but it leaves little green fuzzy tufts on the rocks that I cannot get off. I DO NOT want to take rocks out and clean them that way. Too many corals to worry about with that method. Should I drop in more bacteria to assist in overpowering the GHA

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you definitely have 0 nitrate, I would start dosing some liquid nitrate. You can buy sodium nitrate and mix it yourself or use something like Brightwell Neonitro.
Hold on. He’s battling algae and this recommendation is to feed the tank more algae fertilizer than it’s already eating up? This requires explanation.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to rip out as much as possible but it always comes back in less than a week. I can rip out the long pieces but it leaves little green fuzzy tufts on the rocks that I cannot get off. I DO NOT want to take rocks out and clean them that way. Too many corals to worry about with that method. Should I drop in more bacteria to assist in overpowering the GHA
OK, I understand your situation. Physically removing algae cannot remove all the microscopic bits in cracks but it can’t be good for the algae either. I think that means the advice from R2R forum will be a ravenous algae eating animal - you do not need a huge number, just enough to harvest the algae but not so many that they starve to death when the algae becomes scarce - or some miracle cure in a bottle.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hold on. He’s battling algae and this recommendation is to feed the tank more algae fertilizer than it’s already eating up? This requires explanation.
Algae or not your corals require nitrate and phosphate. Let them hit 0 and he’ll be dealing with a lot more than some nuisance algae which can be handled by clean up crew and herbivores.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back