Hanna Working on Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and Nitrate Checkers

Aku

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's sweet. I'm all for dropping a little extra cash to get results I can be confident in.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have the PO4 checker, how has your experience been? I've heard some good things but interested to hear good and bad. It would be nice to have these others as well.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will be all over these. i will still use the tried and tru but for the every day testing these would be GREAT. no more glaring at color charts for me!

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only complaint I've heard from the PO4 checker is that results only stay up for 10 seconds. I wonder if Hanna will correct that issue with these new ones. I want all of them though lol.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!!! I will definitely look into getting all four... :)

Thanks for the heads up...

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have the PO4 checker, how has your experience been? I've heard some good things but interested to hear good and bad. It would be nice to have these others as well.

I know mojo got one from TBAquatics and posted in their thread that it worked great.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Hanna is smart, they will offer all of them in a "Complete Test Checker Pack" for a discounted price (if you buy all of them). I would be up for that. Time to start saving for all of them.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these "checkers" is they are not accurate enough for reef tank usage. If you go to that thread quoted in that GB article the Hanna rep basically admits the po4 checker doesn't work very well. "No word on precision or resolution at this time"

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with these "checkers" is they are not accurate enough for reef tank usage. If you go to that thread quoted in that GB article the Hanna rep basically admits the po4 checker doesn't work very well. "No word on precision or resolution at this time"

He was saying that for the calcium, magnesium, and alk ones..... I do not think that comment was directed to the phospate one......

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If you go to that thread quoted in that GB article"......

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If you go to that thread quoted in that GB article"......

I went to that thread and I see no mention of Martino stating they "don't work very well"...

There has been no mention on how precise these will be yet, but it will likely be just fine for aquaiurm use - better than liquid test kits is likely as well. Most people don't realize just how much user error needs to be accounted for whe using liquid test kits...

The Hanna Checker HI 713 (first PO4 "checker") had precision of +/- 0.04 ppm. Most people are looking to keep their PO4 around 0.03 ppm, so that unit is kinda questionable, yet MUCH better than any liquid tester on the market. Hanna just released their "Ultra Low Rabge" PO4 Checker that has precision of +/- 0.10 ppb for those that want a more precise reading.

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That was referring to the ones not yet available. Hanna doesn't put out crappy products and more than likely these will more effective than 90% of the visual test kits out there.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
t

Well, I'd consider the po4 "checker" a crappy product. I have the colorimeter and testing has shown it's not much better. As stated above, reefers target po4 levels at .03. The margin of error is .04. So if the Alk "checker" comes out and is only off by 8 dkh, would you consider that good or crappy? Here's a quote from a respected individual:
"When I evaluated the original model using a standard (Hanna by the way) and washing the cuvets and caps with high purity acid solution I got a 3 fold difference against the standard when trying to measure below 1 ppm and two fold difference between different measurements of the same concentration. This second part told me that user variation can potentially be even higher than their specified accuracy."

Last edited:

NaClCrocodile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would you use?

Edit:
For PO4 that is. I assume you'd use liquid test kits for all the others.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back