5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated photo: 10/2023
IMG_7436 2.jpeg

Hello Reef2Reef'ers! :)

My ~300 gallon system is up and running, and I wanted to put up thread here to get feedback/suggestions/etc on my progress. It was started August of this year, and I think it is the right point in time to share the build. It is a custom 300 gallon low iron aquarium: 96x27x27. The cabinetry is also custom, faux coral rock. I friggin love it.

I am a pretty techy person, so everything about this setup is "smart" and optimized. Physical buttons to start a feed modes or photography mode, stand lights turn on automatically, complex multi-factor apex programming for redundancy and control.

I will organize the equipment details from top-down, and then left-to right in the stand.

Lighting:
4x Radion XR30w Pro Gen 4 and 2x Radion XR30w Pro Gen 4 inside two 48" white aquatic life hybrids.
Flow:
2x MP60wQD
1x Jebao CP 150 Wave Pumps
1x Jebao 3000gph return pump.

Rock:
ALL @reefcleaners dry rock. It is incredible; no curing, no problems. Just add it and it colors up. I am a huge fan after wasting a lot of money on other brands of rock that kept leaching phosphates.
Sand:
Carib-Sea Special Grade, ~220lbs.
Sump:
BashSea 48x15x15 smart series sump, customized with sock section.
Heater:
JBJ 1000w heater. I have their controller plugged into the apex, to cut it off if there is a problem.

Skimmer:
MaxSpect Aeraqua
ATO:
Tunze 3155 with 15 reservoir.
Controller/dosing:
Apex 2016, 2 EB832s, WXM, PM1 breakout, Trident, 2x DOS.

The beginning:
4ZJP4Qc.jpg

First aquascape and "the big fill"

FHiA1na.jpg

Living room view- I need to clean up those hideous air vents!

DTVtr62.jpg

The most incredible lighting combination, Radion Gen 4s and @AquaticLifeProducts hybrids. Unfortunately, a month after I installed these I learned of a new version with dimming and a single power cord. Oh well! Still amazing.

Ukpg18Q.jpg

After that, I started adding sticks from @Battlecorals , because cycles are for losers! ;Blackeye;Blackeye;Blackeye

Current critter stocking:
Acropora galore, maybe 30-40 frags :)
2x isolated RBTAs
3x wall hammer colonies
1x frogspawn colony
Plate Coral
Torch Coral

Sailfin Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blue Tang
4 clownfish- 2 pairs. (Hopefully this will work out)
3x Cardinalfish

(Shoutout to @4FordFamily for both writing bunch of information on tangs and also answering my questions :))

Now, photos from today, 10/27/18.

This is how is looks overall, during the lighting ramp-up:

WYrnEDV.jpg

The right side has most of the sticks, so far. I need more @Battlecorals to stock the center.

(I know the placement is way too close together; they are not glued down yet)

1zX0mtq.jpg

The center:

This morning I added a beautiful huge RBTA from @Cultivated Reef . It attached immediately, and is expanding as I watch! This is only ~20 minutes after adding it, it is totally attached and exquisite. Stocking in this area will be sticks on the top, and LPS/encrusting montiporas in the mid/lower sections.

hJasXVb.jpg

Another photo of the anemone right after adding it. Just WOW! And these are honest-to-eye photos; from my iPhone. I am with @bubbaque in that I dislike the whole "actinic with orange gel filter" photo craze. What you see here is what you would see in my living room ;)

tsqwNzR.jpg

The left side:

Work in progress. I intend to add a column/bridge from the top of that side to the rock in front of it, using acrylic rod and rubble like I did on the right side.

2nh5zOK.jpg

Right side of stand is a bit of a horror story at the moment after I set up dosing! I will fix it up, I promise :eek:

bUoVMbb.jpg

Left side, with the fledgling refugium. Also needs to be reorganized :)

nstzVrp.jpg

Oh and this is my 3 year old reefer 350. I keep running out of room and breaking colonies, so definitely needed the space! You can see that this tang will be a similar style; I put in whatever the heck I think is pretty xD

eS31Zb2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There both amazing!

Thanks! At some point I will take out my DSLR to get good photos instead of this iPhone stuff haha.

This is an older DSLR photo of the reefer, and you can see how much nicer the quality is. I am lazy though, its easier to upload from my phone to Imgur than it is to take the SD card from the DSLR, find a SD card adapter, upload it to my laptop, and then imgur :D

cZeXYv6.jpg

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Gonna be gorgeous.... You keeping the Reefer too or retiring her? I don’t think i could bring myself to tear that apart!

The reefer is staying up! That is in my bedroom, and the 300g is in the entryway/living room. The reefer is so stable its ridiculous, no way would I take it down. I will be moving frags back and forth though, to maximize stick variation in both tanks. I already moved a bunch of LPS colonies from the reefer to the bigger tank, just keeping a single head.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous system wow your stand is one of a kind!! Very impressive!

Glad you found me helpful, now tell my wife! :D

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If that gains brownie points then I'm going to help where I can! My wife wouldn't believe anyone though.:)

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks man! I do have a Scopa tang in my reefer, and my favorite thing is watching it navigate and sleep within the acropora forest on the right side. I will try to get a video of that later; it just seems so natural for a tang to be there. That will be one of my goals here as well- this scape has lots of room for tangs to swim and hide, but over time it will begin to get crowded with sticks that the tangs will swim in between. (Hopefully, that is very optimistic haha).

Ironically, I find fish much more difficult to keep than corals. Every coral I add thrives, its just the fish that have been a big challenge in the past.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile you used for your stand is outstanding!!! Where did you get it?

Does this question mean I get to give a backstory? It definitely does. :D

It is not tile, or rock. Undetectable to the eye or touch, it is exquisitely crafted foam! No idea who made it.

I found this setup on Craigslist, the stand and new display, many years ago. Paid a grand. Yep, a grand. Best deal in the history of my life haha. It was already plumbed for reefing.

I did African cichlids in here for a few years, but it required WAY more maintenance than my reefer 350. You see, in a freshwater tank the rocks just become greener and greener no matter what you do. You have to bleach them every few months to keep it looking good. Hundreds of pounds of rocks.

^^ That is a very unpleasant procedure on your back. So you put it off until the tank looks bad again.... Its just not like a reef.

Although I enjoyed the tank after "bleaching", it immediately starts to look more dull until it is just all brown/green rock. Here is a photo of it in 2017, a few days after a bleaching. My real passion is reefing though. I traded in the cichlids for credit at the LFS (Which got my pretty close to the apex)
NzcIjdj.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back