Has anyone beat cirolanid isopods that came in on live rock?

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caught Atleast 40 using the stinky water trap. There are about 10 threads to scan on these creatures but I’m not seeing people have much success or continue the thread after success. Tampa bay saltwater says they don’t breed in captivity and die out.

Any success stories???

IMG_3428.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caught Atleast 40 using the stinky water trap. There are about 10 threads to scan on these creatures but I’m not seeing people have much success or continue the thread after success. Tampa bay saltwater says they don’t breed in captivity and die out.

Any success stories???

IMG_3428.jpeg
Have you been able to confirm that these are cirolanids? How have you been running the trap? When you pull them out can you test them for curling and is there variation in their eyes? Pic here looks more Spheromatid than cirolanid imo, but I'd be very interested in learning if these are really cirolanids. More pics for the community would help!

OP
OP
Brooks Allman

Brooks Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been able to confirm that these are cirolanids? How have you been running the trap? When you pull them out can you test them for curling and is there variation in their eyes? Pic here looks more Spheromatid than cirolanid imo, but I'd be very interested in learning if these are really cirolanids. More pics for the community would help!
I can get more tonight. They’re fast as hell and I’m catching more small ones now / maybe the size of fruit flies. I have not confirmed and I’m still fishless. I can get more photos and list them here after I catch more tonight. They do not have the mean looking eyes but do look like some of the other threads I’ve seen that post them attached to their tangs so I’m not 100%

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get more tonight. They’re fast as hell and I’m catching more small ones now / maybe the size of fruit flies. I have not confirmed and I’m still fishless. I can get more photos and list them here after I catch more tonight. They do not have the mean looking eyes but do look like some of the other threads I’ve seen that post them attached to their tangs so I’m not 100%
Good to know! I don't think they are incapable of reproducing, as I've seen mine years after introducing the rocks, although am fairly certain mine are Spheromatid and the population is quite small.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back