Has anyone ever tried keeping pygmy seahorses

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in the whole marine aquarium hobby, ever tried keeping pygmy seahorses?
I'm not talking about dwarf seahorses, i'm talking about these little guys!
pygmy1.jpg
_ORI8145_0.jpg

They can literally spend their whole life on a single gorgonian so if you had a large gorgonian in a mixed reef I'm pretty sure they'd just sit in it nice and safe, I really need to know if there's a reason why nobody has tried to keep these because they have got to be the most beautiful seahorses in the world.

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've persoaly have never seen them collected for the hobby. Then again I just saw a weedy sea dragon on a wholesale list, I've always loved these little guys.

Maybe someday I'll get a gorg in that has them already in it hahaha

OP
OP
Oscaror

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've persoaly have never seen them collected for the hobby. Then again I just saw a weedy sea dragon on a wholesale list, I've always loved these little guys.

Maybe someday I'll get a gorg in that has them already in it hahaha
I acually did some research until about 1am after posting this and it turns out we don't know how they eat, but some theories are that it picks food that the gorgonians polyps catch, and it's why they can only live on a certain gorgonian, and die when it dies. And it's of course an extremely difficult to keep species that many public aquariums can't keep, the ocean needs to lower its standards.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not available in the hobby yet. The Steinhart Aquarium managed to get some either last year or 2 years ago and has been raising them. They are extremely difficult seahorses, you can't even really imagine how tiny they are, and they need their sea fan host, which has its own complexities with its diet and care needs. The area they live does not allow collection if I remember correctly, Steinhart worked hard for years to get all the permits to collect them.
http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/20...y-sea-horses-hatch-at-steinhart-aquarium.html
http://packedhead.net/category/steinhart-aquarium/
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/steinharts-baby-pygmy-seahorses-are-growing-up-so-fast

These just so happen to be my favorite seahorse so I try and keep up to date on them haha

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone in the whole marine aquarium hobby, ever tried keeping pygmy seahorses?
I'm not talking about dwarf seahorses, i'm talking about these little guys!
pygmy1.jpg
_ORI8145_0.jpg

They can literally spend their whole life on a single gorgonian so if you had a large gorgonian in a mixed reef I'm pretty sure they'd just sit in it nice and safe, I really need to know if there's a reason why nobody has tried to keep these because they have got to be the most beautiful seahorses in the world.
Can I revive this thread? has anyone found these for sale yet?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is they are absolutely not available, nor SHOULD they be at this point. Dedicated researchers are struggling to keep them, so it would be genocidal to offer them to the pet trade. As potentially the single most adorable creatures on the planet, for their sake I'm happy.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is they are absolutely not available, nor SHOULD they be at this point. Dedicated researchers are struggling to keep them, so it would be genocidal to offer them to the pet trade. As potentially the single most adorable creatures on the planet, for their sake I'm happy.
i suppose.. it was just a question. If they are really that expert only, i would agree.. but I also havent read anything that said they were impossible to keep... they lived off the gorgonian.. .so it seems if you can keep those, ... well.. youre mostly there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back