has anyone here put a rack in ur sump for more space?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get some more real estate out of my sump although I believe I have overly large skimmer that I might downsize in but red sea insists is the appropriate skimmer for my tank yet 42 gal tank/ 10 g sump and I finally got it dialed i think though I don't know if it's overly skimming as it is so big but maybe not.
the published specs clearly it indicates is for larger tanks. Nonetheless, I would like to place a rack in my sump so I have more options for little things. Does anyone know where to get sump racks? Appreciate it. i'm not sure if it would be worth it to downsize my skimmer for more space, but dialing in the sump exactly the way I want It is kind one objective.
thank you

IMG_5601.png

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get some more real estate out of my sump although I believe I have overly large skimmer that I might downsize in but red sea insists is the appropriate skimmer for my tank yet 42 gal tank/ 10 g sump and I finally got it dialed i think though I don't know if it's overly skimming as it is so big but maybe not.
the published specs clearly it indicates is for larger tanks. Nonetheless, I would like to place a rack in my sump so I have more options for little things. Does anyone know where to get sump racks? Appreciate it. i'm not sure if it would be worth it to downsize my skimmer for more space, but dialing in the sump exactly the way I want It is kind one objective.
thank you

IMG_5601.png

I'm curious what the little things are that you're looking to put in your sump.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer seems big because the sump itself is a bit small, but that skimmer is appropriately sized for that tank. I don't mean that the sump is too small for the tank size, just that the trend for manufacturers lately is to make everything compact. A sump that size will work for a tank that size, and it will hold all the filtration necessary for a tank that size, but it won't have any 'extra' space. You could always upgrade to a larger sump that provides more room, but I wouldn't try to undersize the skimmer unless you are trying to do something specific...

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgraded sump that's an interesting question. Still no answer on the rack. The little things you see are called polyp blocks which are very porous ceramic blocks that are being used as an artificial form of live rock. Don't worry I have over 30 pounds of live rock.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgraded sump that's an interesting question. Still no answer on the rack. The little things you see are called polyp blocks which are very porous ceramic blocks that are being used as an artificial form of live rock. Don't worry I have over 30 pounds of live rock.
I think most of us are familiar with bioblocks... Several company's make them. A lot of people don't use them because of the potential for aluminum leaching out

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you wanting to put in the sump? Are you looking to place frags in their?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would the shelf even go? If you raise the skimmer to try and put something under it, the water depth the skimmer is designed to be in will drastically change and the skimmer performance will be significantly reduced

The problem with the all in one combos is that they give you a bunch of middle of the line stuff, designed exactly to fit in their compartments/chambers/whatever. And that’s ok. It works. For most. Until you want to upgrade to better equipment, different brands, or add more stuff. Then you are severely limited because all your space is taken up by things they spec to fit in those spaces. I mean no disrespect, it’s just the nature of the design and product.

Tell us more about your goals and we might have some ideas for you

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want a smaller skimmer. see my recent post on the equipment threads
. The system I bought provided a scammer much to enlarged.

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want a smaller skimmer. see my recent post on the equipment threads
. The system I bought provided a scammer much to enlarged.
Ok, but that doesn't answer the question. What are you planning on putting on the "racks"? We cant help if you don't give us the information.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy this setup new from a local fish store?

The store that shows you their giant skimmer in the back and says it’s useless, sold you a oversized skimmer? When they don’t feel the device is useful?

Return it there and get a smaller one or a refund and we’ll send you links to appropriately sized ones

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy this setup new from a local fish store?

The store that shows you their giant skimmer in the back and says it’s useless, sold you a oversized skimmer? When they don’t feel the device is useful?

Return it there and get a smaller one or a refund and we’ll send you links to appropriately sized ones
i have no idea how your post is relevant or accurate

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have no idea how your post is relevant or accurate

complained to my LCS not the vendor of my system.
I asked him, "do I really need a protein scammer?" He directed me to the back of his store where he has a large 6 footskimmer. He says it doesn't do anything . " there is no skim here,

I find it ironic that the local fish store guy takes you to the back and tells you their skimmer doesn’t do anything…after he sells you a system with a skimmer…that is oversized and doesn’t work for you

If he wasn’t a fan of skimmers then why did he sell you a bundle with one? To make money. And then when you come back complaining about it, he sold you bio blocks and said you don’t need the skimmer.

Regardless I am not some jerk, and I do want to help you. So, you have a skimmer you don’t like, it takes up too much space, it’s oversized for your volume (which means it will take a lot of bioload just for it to function properly, and it’s noisy. You don’t like it, I get it

You want to do something with shelves? What do you want to put on the shelves and under them?

Do you want us to recommend smaller more appropriate skimmers? Or do you want to do a refugium? Or an alternate filtration method?

FYI I don’t run a skimmer or fleece roller or any mech filtration - working out good for me. Willing to help ya with whatever method you want. Fill me in on your goals

BAAAC817-14F6-4EFA-8111-F8FC38058C97.jpeg

5D2CF81B-D904-4B05-83A7-8D6AE12C86E0.jpeg
BA1D68CD-E278-4A71-A0B5-5BBAACE1E210.jpeg
668E047E-0A09-4222-8614-BA46FAD56D6E.jpeg
19473B0C-2C4C-4135-A621-9B6182BFFAEB.jpeg
3953FE9D-B285-408D-9B3D-6700670C5DE1.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe the facts are not presented clearly. So there's LFS store number one from which I purchased the whole G2 max system. It includes the large RSk 300 skimmer. Now after a month I just feel like it's too large and it takes up too much real estate in the-sump and it's too loud. I went to LFS store number two because we have a few LFS stores in this major city I live in and i like to see what's out there. that gentleman working that store number two advised me that my skimmer is too large and only to run it a few days a week or minimize the time because i run it as he feels like it overkill . But I feel like it's just too loud and takes up too much real estate. I'm not sure if it overkill and over skimming or not it's a little bit of above my technical knowledge. I just know it's too loud and too large for my liking.

by the way, it's best I stay away from any LFS right now because every time I go in, I see some livestock and I just have to buy. Being a newbie and being exuberant about this whole thing "oh my God, such beautiful livestock of such varied species i wanna buy the whole dang livestock." But, I know better. however, knowing, and acting towards that knowledge and reigning in compulsion are not always the same thing.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oversized skimmer won’t overskim
It will probably underskim

Larger skimmers have larger necks and take more foam to fill that neck and rise up into the collection cup. They are assuming a larger tank has a larger amount of fish and waste to remove, so they are built larger

When put in a smaller tank, or a tank with a smaller bio load, it’s more difficult for them to produce the quantity of foam needed to fill the neck and rise up properly. So then your options are to increase bioload, or turn the skimmer up so the waterline inside is higher, making it have less space to fill up with foam. This can work but you will get more of a watery wet foam instead of a dry foam

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 122 74.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back