Has the Berlin Method gone the way of the Dodo?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BerlinMethod.com
Berlin Method Overview

Parts Sourced from The Reef Aquarium, Volume 1, J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung

The modern "Berlin method" of aquarium keeping began with the work of Peter Wilkens and the marine aquarium club in Berlin. Although these systems are called natural systems, they do differ from those described by Eng (1961) and Emmens (1986) by incorporating protein skimmers in their design.
overview.gif
The basic elements to a Berlin method aquarium include: strong light, live rock and sand, protein skimming, and calcium additions. A trickle filter is not used as the live rock and sand perform the biological filtration. It is also common to see automatic top-off systems in place to offset water evaporation due to the strong light.
This site is dedicated to sharing with others my efforts to create a successful reef tank based on the Berlin method.

it’s as simple as this. Replace the live rock with a Jaubert’s Plenum or technically an undergravel plate with large enough volume plus some floss that’s removed daily such as we had with corner box filters and add kalk and you have the same end game. Although my approach is passing water though a deep bed of gravel since I understand the removal of oxygen during nitrification is how we get to a point of potential denitrification. However, carbon dosing has literally eliminated the need for that. No anoxic chamber needed. Still trying to figure exactly how that is but I know it works first hand.

Skimmer was efficient at removing organics before they converted to ammonia. Seachem Purigen accomplishes that to some extent. Requires less maintenance and can be recharged. Yet carbon dosing solves that as well.

If memory serves me right those live rocks were cured (don’t recall many if any getting direct wet air shipments from the source or stores selling out as fast as they arrived) until mostly the bacteria survived. Usually sponges too and those dreaded mantis although I thought they were cool. I believe the key was the diversification of bacteria. Biome testing today I think tries to assist that and perhaps adding bacterial additives from different sources helps somewhat accomplish that. What I’ve done. Perhaps one day I’ll send a test out to see how close I’ve come or not.

Don’t recall any discussions about aeration qualities of skimmers back then but could just be I missed that point. Still valid. Some still run their skimmers just for that value yet perhaps an air stone might solve some of that.

Although algal scrubbers mentioned in the copy/paste I provided. I don’t recall them being considered inclusive. Recall little talk about algal scrubbers at the LFS and mostly advertisements in the magazines. No internet then. Perhaps it would have been discussed more often.

Although kalk was one component that had nothing to do with mechanical filtration assisting biological. Just perhaps something discovered around the same time and somehow linked together. Skimmer/live rock solved filtration for any saltwater tank and kalk solved for keeping that which consumed its components. Softies didn’t need kalk.

I could be wrong but if I were to design a system that decomposed organics into nitrogen gas then I’d effectively replace the biological component of the Berlin Method. DSB were supposed to accomplish that but required little disturbance by other than by benthic creatures. Don’t recall talk of bacteria diversification but perhaps that would have helped.

My solution to mimicking the essence of the Berlin Method is to run water through a large long path of various size gravel and either utilize carbon dosing to supplement the removal of nitrates or a refugium. Was originally headed in the path of gravel to refugium until I discovered carbon dosing but then learned tank co2 equalized with atmospheric co2 (I’m always learning and have to thank Randy for this one) which carbon dosing doesn’t solve and now back to gravel and a refugium. Perhaps I’ll call it Hybrid Berlin Adey Method although perhaps we just call it what it was coined in the 60s. The Natural Method :thinking-face:

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.

Back