Have you ever seen one so big or green?

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like slimer coming out. I have never seen a stomatella this big or green. Is that just from the caulerpa or is this something different?

20240511_065040.jpg 20240511_065135.jpg

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely an Oxynoe species:
I can't see the rhinophores (the little "horns" on the head) too clearly, but I'd guess Oxynoe antillarum - it feeds on Caulerpa, probably Caulerpa racemosa or Caulerpa chemnitzia (it might also go for C. chemnitzia var. turbinata or C. lentillifera if you have any to offer it, but I don't know for sure).

There are a few other species that it could potentially be, but they're less likely (and they'd either feed on the same Caulerpa species as O. antillarum or on things like C. cupressoides; either way it'll feed on a Caulerpa species).

If they think something is trying to eat them (which I'm not aware of many reef-safe things that might try to eat these), they'll secrete a milky white substance that is toxic, yes - not much is known about the toxin except that it likely comes from concentrated substances found in the Caulerpa they feed on, and that it's toxic to fish. I doubt it would be an issue in a decent-sized tank or to larger fish, but in small tanks with small fish it could be. That said, if you're concerned about it you can run carbon and keep some mixed saltwater on hand for an emergency water change, and that'd likely take care of the toxin if it's released.

They may also drop their tail (which can regrow) if they think they're being preyed upon.

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably make a killing selling them if they're truly reef safe. I know I'm interested, lol.
Yeah I like them. I have seen only one post saying they are invasive. I'm trying to find out more. They appear to be photosynthetic so im curious how long they can live withought eating algae. If I end up getting more I will definitely sell/trade you some.

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I like them. I have seen only one post saying they are invasive. I'm trying to find out more. They appear to be photosynthetic so im curious how long they can live withought eating algae. If I end up getting more I will definitely sell/trade you some.
The photosynthesis is accomplished using stolen chloroplasts from the algae they eat - it's more of a backup power system than anything, but it should last them a few days (I forget exactly how long, but I wouldn't expect it to last more than a week or two at max).

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I pulled the ones tail off with my aquasqaping tongs. I read they do this and have regenerative properties. They are amazing little buggers. I can't beleive I have never read about them in dealing with caulerpa until last Saturday.

OP
OP
anemonalex

anemonalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs are getting beefy already at close to a week old. I have no idea how many eggs are in a clutch. They hatch like caterpillars from my research. So they will be decent size at hatching. The leaf is already being weight down. So I'm guessing they will hatch at sand level. Which makes sense for survival and makes me happy that I won't have to try and turn my refugium wavemaker off. I'm going to try and get some grape caulerpa to seed for when they hatch at my lfs tomorrow. He had somelast time.

Attachments

• 20240517_160042.jpg
    20240517_160042.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 12

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back