Having trouble bringing my pH up

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH runs in the 7.8 - 8 range daily. I just upped my kalk to 10 teaspoons for approximately 8 gallons of top off. I'm guessing that I just need to up it some more until I see it climb and stay around 8.3. Am I thinking correctly here? I do have a 2-part system, but have never learned to use it correctly and now that I have a tank full of SPS am a bit tentative to try.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pH is more affected by the amount of CO2 in your system, and its surrounding atmosphere. Using Kalk will utilize some of the CO2 in your system, but a better, more cost effective fix would be to run an air line from your skimmer to an outside air source. BTW, I successfully ran a mixed reef 180 f0r many years at those same pH levels.

den75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also put some Co2 absorbent in a reactor and attach the air intake of your skimmer to that. Worked like a charm for me.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a good one for @Randy Holmes-Farley :)

I myself would suggest trying to increase the gas exchange first, increasing surface agitation and/or introducing some outside air, perhaps adding more macro algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, pH 7.8 -8 is fine.

As long as the alkalinity does not get too high, limewater (kalkwasser) is a good way to rise pH. Opening windows is another, as is a scrubber, an outdoor air line to a skimmer inlet, or growing macroalgae. :)

This has more:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is between 6 & 7 dKh. I ran out of Hanna reagent so I'm using an old Salifert kit. Calcium is around 420. I ran an airline to the basement. That's as close to a separate air source as I'm going to get and it's probably not any better than up stairs. I'll need to buy about 50' of airline to get to an outside air source. I'm going to see if I can get it at Lowe's or I'll just order it off Amazon.

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research tonight regarding Kalk reactors and I'm a bit confused regarding some previous advice (long time ago). When I first started dosing Kalk I had placed a small power head in the container to keep it mixed up. Someone way back when said that's a no no and that I should let the Kalk settle for a day and then either pour off the top without getting it stirred up again or just down have the hose down at the bottom of the container. The whole job of a Kalk reactor seems to be keeping it stirred up so the solution is fully saturated with Kalk. Would the power head in the container not provide the same function at a fraction of the cost or am I missing something?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limewater is about twice as effective at raising pH per unit of alkalinity added than a high pH two part.

A limewater reactor stirs the mixture a lot because the water volume is low (so it must dissolve more calcium hydroxide frequently) and it is sealed to prevent CO2 entry. IMO, a slightly better plan is delivery from a large settled reservoir, but both work OK.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I started day one with a calcium reactor. I have been contemplating using Kalk however, dosing along with another pH controller, to keep my pH up, which is consistently lower than I want it. My understanding of the kalk mix is that when it reaches saturation, the kalk powder ceases to dissolve, thus as long as there is a settled milky residue the clear mix is fully saturated. I'm not sure one wants the suspended kalk in the display. Again, with no experience though, I defer. :)

I think most everyone else in the club runs two-part. Sounds like a great discussion for Saturdays meeting!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back