Heads or Tails, Need help interpreting data and next steps

AKreuzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Looking for validation and/or recommendations on my next steps.
Current setup:
150g DT 55g Sump
3x AI Hydra 32's
Theiling compact rollermat
Reef Octo 200 Regal SSS Skimmer
2x Gyre XF350
Aqua UV 40w UV Sterilizer

So my tank is just over a year old. I would like to think its moderately stocked:
Tangs
-chocoloate
-bluehippo
-blond nasso
-purple
-powder brown
-maculacepes
Foxface
wrasse:
Male leopard
Female Leopard
Adorned
Red Flasher(went missing about 2 months ago)
Solorensis(went missing about 3 weeks ago)

2 oscilarious clowns
Dragon Goby (Brown Banded)
1 cleanershrimp
a few turbo snails/hermit crabs (~ 3 each)

all rock started as white rock or purple reef rock
water parameters started as expected....all 0's for a while and then when Nitrates and Phosphates were registering they held pretty steady....Until the red hair algea started....I suffered through red hair algea for what seemled like ages but was actually like 3 months....I would scrub the rock, overflows, powerheads, all of it several times/ week and towards the end daily. during this time i started to notice Nitrates creep up to around 35.....once the red hair algea started to disappear the nitrates went up to 75.... (this is when i added the protein skimmer) this has brought them back down to around 55 (phosphates around .39) but now the red hair algea is coming back.
Red hair algea is probably my least favorite....and its been creeping in on my near killing my zoas.

my next step was going to be taking a section of my sump that really isnt being used and turning it into a refugium... I got a refugium light from BRS and ordered some Cheato from ReefPro which should be here Thursdays and I am hoping it will help lower nitrates and kill/reduce the red hair algae....what are your thoughts/suggestions?

I think my LFS is at a loss for suggestions or help....she didnt think a refugium would help but everything Ive seen would align to it helping out a ton.

additional point.... Mag is around 1400

OP
OP
AKreuzer

AKreuzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes in short red hair algea is the issue....I should also add over the last week my ORP has been sky rocketing....usually it held steady around 275-300.....but it has been rising consistently for the last 5 days and is not up to 450.

Here is a photo.... tried taking it at an angle to reduce glare

20231107_150139.jpg

OP
OP
AKreuzer

AKreuzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think also I was curious if the parameters are whats leading to red hair algae outbreak

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce your lighting schedule , get some urchins. Pincushion or blue or red tuxedo are some good urchins for that

Assuming are you using ro/di water a rounded membrane would cause. Make sure your ro di is working correctly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think also I was curious if the parameters are whats leading to red hair algae outbreak

Generally, algae cannot be "blamed" on parameters, despite it being the historical mantra in the hobby.

Algae need many things, and if you meet those needs, it will grow. Unfortunately, the needs are very similar to corals. Having even more of any of those than they need, such as nitrate and phosphate, cannot really make the algae grow more.

OP
OP
AKreuzer

AKreuzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what your saying is even if my nitrates/phosphates were proportionally lower I'd still have the same issue? Like nitrate 10 phos .03?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what your saying is even if my nitrates/phosphates were proportionally lower I'd still have the same issue? Like nitrate 10 phos .03?

While I cannot say for sure what nutrient levels are the minimum needed for all algae types, Nitrate at 10 ppm and phosphate at 0.03 ppm will certainly allow many algae to thrive and may not be limiting to growth. Any study that I have seen (mostly macroalgae) shows a limiting level lower than these.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back