Hello everyone my name is, Lisa and I’m just starting out with saltwater.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to salt

spockwelcome.jpg

fishMAYOnnaise04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waves all! Nice to meet you all. It’s been many years sense I had saltwater tank. I also started a fresh water tank with Kribenses fish in it, and soon after I have 5 tanks full of the babies from the first tank. I’ll add a couple pictures of the cute Kringle family I have.

After all the fun I had with the Krib’s I decided to start a saltwater aquarium. I completed cycling the tank and I added 2 Tracy’s Damsel fish. Pictures to follow. Now I see brown on all my substrate and coral decorations. What do I have to do next? Any help would be welcome. My goal in the 25 gallon aquarium is adding a porcupine puffer, banded shrimp, and a green mandrin.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg D65842AC-4692-47F7-89BD-3350D0260830.jpeg 91C75808-71A9-4EF0-966D-EE42BBC1028E.jpeg 0FE47CF8-A675-4ADF-B8A8-ECA2D58F4CEA.jpeg
Welcome to R2R!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part of a saltwater tank is the first year. The cycle is terrible because it's like watching paint dry and feels like forever. Then the brown stuff (dino/cyno) and you will most definitely think you are doing something wrong. Then one day it starts to recede and you feel like you are the head of the Baltimore aquarium because you think you made it happen when in reality it was just the tank fully maturing.

The stocking list you suggested is a little incompatible. The puffer is awsome but very mean and will most definitely eat the shrimp and small enough crabs and clean up crew. The mandarin should be introduced with caution because they are very finicky eaters some dont eat anything but copepods, some eat frozen mysis. Wild caught will almost always eat only copepods. Aquaculture mandarins have better eating habits but still some only eat live. It has gotten a new status of easy because of aquaculturing but these fish are more in the seahorse family and they love to eat and hunt copepods all day and should be still kept with extra care.

Welcome anything you have an issue with someone here can help.

Fish are the best pets in the world.
Fish and coral > all other pets

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back