help a beginner...please

chansman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first sw tank so I'm a newbie :-D

I'm picking up an established 75 Saturday that comes with a purple tang, yellow tang, and clown...looks like a tomato. It also has a flower pot anemone and some mushrooms. I'll slowly add some coral and stuff. Can you guys help me select a few fish?

The purple is a good sized fish maybe 5-6", the yellow maybe 4-5". I've read where it's not good to keep more than one tang together so I'll obviously be keeping the purple. The tomato should prolly go as well right?

My first addition to go in will be a couple of Ocellaris Clowns. The wife and kids will like to see tons of activity and color. What do you guys recommend for a goby or blenny? I will need something for pest control, I guess, what the best wrasse for a beginner? Then I think I'll drop a few Chromis in there. Does that sound ok or should I consider something else?

I'm fortunate that my lfs guy is awesome so he'll help but I'm the guy that has to research everything...it's ridiculous...lol!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider on trading in the purple tang as well. Giving its size, it may be pretty (most likely) aggressive and not accepting of new additions. Typically, you would want to start with the least aggressive additions first and then add the more aggressive fish last. This helps get the least aggressive fish adjusted and comfortable in the tank and the aggressive fish adapt to the new environment. Occellaris clowns make a great first addition. I have a starry blenny that is full of personality. He is pretty active and is fun to watch. He even chomps on my arm when I put it in the tank.

What pests do you need to keep in control in your tank? I recommend keeping a mesh or egg crate top on the tank if you plan on keeping wrasses. They are notorious jumpers.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!! I'm sure these guys and gals around here will be most helpful!!

OP
OP
C

chansman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play it by ear with the purple as I"m not likely to ever buy a fish that expensive. i won't pick to tank up until Saturday so I'm not sure of pests for sure but like worms and the usual culprits. I will for sure keep the jumping issue in mind. The set-up has a full canopy but I'll double check to make sure nothing can jump out.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what seahorsekeeper said about rethinking the tangs. Purple tangs are notoriously aggressive and I'm a bit surprised that keeping two Zebrasoma tangs within a 75 hasn't led to fin nipping already. Yellow tangs are usually more docile and are more likely to play nice with any new additions. If you plan on adding a pair of oscellaris clowns, then the existing clown should definitely go. Mixing more than one pair of clowns within a tank has a horrible success rate unless they are added at the same time as sexless juveniles. Good starter wrasses for controlling pests include sixlines (can be aggressive despite their small size) and melanarus wrasses. The sixline is completely reef safe, but some melarus wrasses tend to eat snails/crabs. Chromis make a great addition to reef tanks for movement, but several people have issues maintaining more than a pair long term in small-midsize tanks. That being said, it is supposedly best to keep an odd number if you decide on more than a pair and you can be successful. I currently have 7 chromis in my 180 that went from a 55 to a 125 to the current tank over the past 6 years. I can't make much of a recommendation as far as gobies, because I've only kept a few over the years. Best of luck with your stocking plans and be sure to start a build thread when things get underway!

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank and good luck! +1 on the purple tang and also the clown issue. A yellow watchman goby is a great addition for color.

Jgomez324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the Tang it is going to chase your new added fish around the tank my yellow tang is the smallest of my fish and he chased my fire fish so much they jumped out the tank.

Jgomez324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a Lawnmower Blenny fan.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345734958.884104.jpg

Gobs are beautiful but I haven't seen mine since I added him to the tank bug I know he's in there because I see the sand under the rocks moving

Cooper32803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my firefish goby, but as said before, big time jumpers! I was redoing my rockwork and the little guy jumped from the bottom of my tank all the way into my chest and therefore I caught him. If you decide on a jumper, make sure the canopy fits nice all the way around the tank. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back