Help! Bangai cardinal tail rot?

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this in my bangai cardinal. For last 2 days wasnt eating.
Just switched tanks and moved everything over to temporary one. Only kept small bowl of sand.

Tankmates are yellow-purple wrasse, purple firefish. Lost carpenters wrasse, crushed by rock :(

I assume its some type of infection. None of the fish are agressive with eachother at all.

Any ideas. Already preparing water for WC.
a0ff8eefc4c66d2ab9ce4dd36801781e.jpg
a5d3374b71eaf0fddb47d8da10af1c49.jpg
203420298a435e438097cc6a709c384b.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little dude. :( Bacterial infection. Do you have any Triple Sulfa aka Sulfaplex? Or any other antibiotics? Kanaplex, Furan2, NFG?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i have meds wise is prazipro. I live in ontario canada. Fish meds are not sold in store anymore, need vet prescription

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Prazipro won't help unless the infection was caused by flukes. If so, it would take care of the flukes, but that still leaves the infection. Can you get Ruby Reef Rally in Canada? Giving the fish bathes in it would certainly help.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i can i will call lfs and check.

What causes this? Will water changes help? Will it spread to other fish?

Could it have been caused from stress of me moving tanks and stiring everything up?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still wondering if waterchanges will help or not? Also if it can spread to other fish . So far the wrasse and firefish look good and eating good, cardinal same condition, maby little worse, not eating.

Ruby reef rally is not available anymore due to meds ban.

Recomeneded melafix but not sure if thats available or not. Any other ideas . Thanks

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still wondering if waterchanges will help or not? Also if it can spread to other fish . So far the wrasse and firefish look good and eating good, cardinal same condition, maby little worse, not eating.

Ruby reef rally is not available anymore due to meds ban.

Recomeneded melafix but not sure if thats available or not. Any other ideas . Thanks

I don’t think WC’s will take care of it. That looks like a bacterial infection that is pretty advanced. Do you know anyone in the states that could send you meds?

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i dont unfortunatly :(
I wish i did though id stock up on some of the basics .

Will this spread to other fish?

I have been trying to get it to eat brine, mysis and LRS with garlic added and its not interested.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the cardinal died unfortunatly. There wasnt much i could do except try to get it eating.

Still wondering if this is contagious to the other fish. I have a firefish and yellow-purple wrasse that are in the same tank.

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish can you tell me if this is contagious to my other fish ? Im hoping to be able to move the wrasse and firefish to my main tank but dont want to add if this will spread. I mentioned that the wrasse and firefish have been acting and eating fine the whole time and dont seem affected .

OP
OP
Wagonpitt

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!
Still have the firefish and wrasse in the temp tank where the cardinal was. They are fine eating well and no issues that i can see .
Should i still be worried about adding them to my dt and spreading whatever the cardinal had. Are bacterial infections like this contagious ?

#reefsquad ?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back