Help..Brown on Palys

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i need to pick brains again. I have some magician palys that have not opened for a while. i can see brown ( algae ? ) on the polyps and have tried to blast it off to no avail. Any ideas on what the problem is and is there any remedy or cure. Thanks everyone for looking, here is a pic.
DSC03521.jpg

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks , does anyone know what causes this and is there ways to prevent it from happening? Anyone other suggestions welcomed ... thanks all

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is some type of fungus (although I'm certainly no expert). I've used a very soft-bristled tooth brush to brush it off as much as possible prior to dipping as well.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get it when I change bulbs and the zoas get a little burn, or on some fresh fragings, also phosphate issues will affect them but it looks like you have other zoas opening so I don't think that is an issue.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a fungus. I'd use Furan 2 on them. I've never used it, but I have buddies that swear by it.

Makbarracuda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get it when I change bulbs and the zoas get a little burn, or on some fresh fragings, also phosphate issues will affect them but it looks like you have other zoas opening so I don't think that is an issue.

I agree with Wicked demon, when my zoas do that i move them lower in the tank because the lights tend to burn them. This was the case with one of my colonies; They reopened at the bottom within the first day and a half of being lower.

IamRit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the zoa temporarily to a heavier flow area should help.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also check at night and see if there are big copepods crawling on it. I've had a couple palys start doing that and keep getting small and small. Then I noticed that at night there were tons of giant copepods on them. I don't know if they were eating the polyps, but they sure weren't letting them get better. The ones I moved up onto my frag rack where the copepods can't get to, eventually start doing better and open up again. The ones left of the bottom continue to do worse, so I'm pretty sure the pods are hurting them.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back