Help! Corals retracting/dying...mystery?

BlueGeckoHI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed several days ago that 1 or 2 frags were a little more closed than usual. 2 days ago I noticed most of the frags and corals were looking unhappy so I tested all my parameters and everything looked OK as far as I can tell. Will list below/still same tonight. I did find my temp had dropped to 74-75 (from 80)...my 1 heater was being weird (may have JUST died? So i replaced it with another). I have 2 heaters but my redundant one was unplugged (thanks hubby... fixed it now).

I did do a water change but it was maybe 8 gallons out of almost 60 gallon tank (40 breeder display over 20 refugium). That was 2 weeks ago. I'd had a flat worm issue a while back. Treated with flat worm exit then. All seemed ok. Noticed a few again, so i treated again a couple weeks ago. Was careful to siphon out all that saw (took forever...), and ran carbon to help with any toxicity, then the water change. All corals looked more than happy through it all and since.

I did put a small piece of dry rock in the tank last week. A little arch about the size of my hand. It had been dry for a long time, sat in the sun for months and months over summer. It was rinsed and soaked well before putting in the tank. Could it still be just that?

Friday i realized all the corals werent looking good, was going to do a 20-25% water change...but the parameters looked good, and i noticed the lower than normal temp, so i thought maybe that stressed them? I noticed i have very little nitrates ... so thought that might be bothering them? But i feed once or twice a week (reef roids). Didnt want to change out big water n lower nitrates further... :-/ wasnt sure what was correct at that point, honestly. So i started, then stopped. Probably only replaced 3 gallons.

Brought temp back up with working heater.. corals still sad. Lost a feather duster... removed it quickly no other deaths and no decaying bodies unaccounted for. No fish, just a few snails, a couple crabs n corals. Tank is just over year old.

Looked for stray voltage. That took a chunk of my morning. Found volts (25v). Drops to 0 if i shut off the power strip, and drops a little (only 10v) if i unplug the pump in the sump ...but thinking it might be induced? Although doesnt quite seem like it...and id be willing to bet its always had this little bit of voltage. We have several other tanks. All have some volts. Hubby checked outlets and breaker box for good gounds...nothing crazy going on. Stuck a grounding probe in my tank to remove the weird voltage anyway.

What do you think would suddenly, over a couple days, make everyone start retracting and dying? :( What did i miss/do wrong? Any help is appreciated.

40 gal DT
20 gal fuge
8.2ph
80 degrees F
2 NO3
0 NO2
0 NH3/4
My PO4 test is expired...says 0 but not sure. I know there should be some and that could be what's bad. Its not a pristine tank.
10 dKh
1300 Mg
450 Ca

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, there could be a number of things going on here.
First, the obvious ones: the low temp and the treatment of FW exit. One of the things with corals is that they don't always show stress immediately. Many times they will react several weeks later to something.
Now let's parameters.
I don't recommend 80 degrees. I'd shoot for 77-78, unless you have some specific coral that needs warmer water. Get some nitrates in there. Get new PO4 test kits and get some PO4 in there too. Alk is a little high for my taste.

OP
OP
B

BlueGeckoHI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, there could be a number of things going on here.
First, the obvious ones: the low temp and the treatment of FW exit. One of the things with corals is that they don't always show stress immediately. Many times they will react several weeks later to something.
Now let's parameters.
I don't recommend 80 degrees. I'd shoot for 77-78, unless you have some specific coral that needs warmer water. Get some nitrates in there. Get new PO4 test kits and get some PO4 in there too. Alk is a little high for my taste.
I wondered about delayed stress..
Ok, thanks, ill turn the temp down a bit and address those things first and see what comes of it.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 125 43.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 139 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 3.1%
Back