Help !!! Flukes

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i had flukes in my tank about 2 months ago. lost about 10 Anthias. have some blennies, wrasses and a blue damsel remaining. last death was about a month ago. after that everything seemed settled.

few days ago i saw one of the wrasse and the damsel yawning, and saw the wrasse scratching on the sad bed.

this happens very very rarely. other than that no other symptoms at all.

My question is how long do i wait till i add more fish ?

Tank size: 1200L, have SPS and LPS corals

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for flukes first in a qt with prazi or general cure. Not sure how long the tank has to be fallow.

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through treating flukes in my dt. Treated with two rounds of prazipro and so far so good.

OP
OP
B

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know for sure it’s flukes? Have you done a FW dip to confirm?

My tank is 1200L so it's impossible to catch any fish, so i can't do a FWD.

I came to the conclusion that it is flukes based on the symptoms and the pattern of deaths.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 1200L so it's impossible to catch any fish, so i can't do a FWD.

I came to the conclusion that it is flukes based on the symptoms and the pattern of deaths.
Treating the DT with prazipro is very low risk. Also, I know that others have used a trap to catch fish. I’ve never done it, but many have. If you can, I would fw dip to check. If not, go with with prazi.

OP
OP
B

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dwest

thanks for your response. I can't use prazi in my DT because i have about 10 feather duster worms. I've heard that prazi kills feather dusters.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dwest

thanks for your response. I can't use prazi in my DT because i have about 10 feather duster worms. I've heard that prazi kills feather dusters.

How are you going to get your fish back to health? There must be a way to get them out for treatment so they all don’t perish.

OP
OP
B

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last death was about 1 month ago. remaining fish seems to be okay, only thing is very rarely they yawn and scratch.

my problem is i can't add any more fish cos I'm worried the existing fish might be carriers. should i be worried?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Once flukes are present you need to get them out as likely they will become present on all. That was my experience. Buy, rent, make or borrow a fish trap (see YouTube for ideas). Fallow period needed in DT to eliminate in the tank.

Treat in quarantine with Prazipro or if they are resistant to prazi you need hyposalinity Or fenbenzadole to eliminate them from the fish.

New additions of fish without this step are highly likely to get them at some point.

OP
OP
B

BannerFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Once flukes are present you need to get them out as likely they will become present on all. That was my experience. Buy, rent, make or borrow a fish trap (see YouTube for ideas). Fallow period needed in DT to eliminate in the tank.

Treat in quarantine with Prazipro or if they are resistant to prazi you need hyposalinity Or fenbenzadole to eliminate them from the fish.

New additions of fish without this step are highly likely to get them at some point.

Thanks ckalupa

I've caught most of the fish. 1 lawnmower bleny remaining.

do you know what is the fallow period for flukes?

thanks

Faz

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back