Help. ICP too many metals

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results
I have had such a hard time keeping corals as you’ll see from my previous threads asking for help. I’ve gotten all my parameters in check and things I can test for at home have been balanced. The only thing is mg is low, but I’ve got so many high levels of metal that I’m sure this would be why my corals are dying, not growing, browning.
I had a look in my cabinet and found all the hinges and screws were super rusted. Would that be why my water is contaminated?? And how would I fix this because the doors need to stay attached to the cabinet.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets.. pump impellers…****** Rodi equipment.. could be a numbe of things
If i were u..
Look over ur equipment.
Outsource a good water source to do a big water change( keep ur sourced water at the same parameters as ur tank ie calc alk etc
And two little fishes makes a metals and silicate media .. i dont rememebr what its called might wanna run that if u dont get dow to whats causing it
Rusty hinges unless ur touchin em and then putting hand in tank aint gonna do it.. hell, even a fan in sump area with rusty **** outside ur system aint gonna do it.
Hinges are cheap bro, change em anyways and give a new coat if paint to the inside. Your corals and system deserve it

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Iron, Zinc and Tin are elevated. Did a galvanized nut, bolt or washer fall in the tank or sump? I would be searching around for a suspicious brown lump of something in the tank. Also, check your magnets for swelled and corroded ones.

I don't know that your hinges are able to drop rusted bits into the sump? If they are located to be able to physically do it, then perhaps they are the culprit.

Dennis

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results
I have had such a hard time keeping corals as you’ll see from my previous threads asking for help. I’ve gotten all my parameters in check and things I can test for at home have been balanced. The only thing is mg is low, but I’ve got so many high levels of metal that I’m sure this would be why my corals are dying, not growing, browning.
I had a look in my cabinet and found all the hinges and screws were super rusted. Would that be why my water is contaminated?? And how would I fix this because the doors need to stay attached to the cabinet.

I do not know if metals are an issue in your case, but zinc is fairly high and would be the most concerning to me. Flaking rust landing in the tank might be a cause, yes, but look for other metal parts in the water, rusted or not.

OP
OP
Thatdude156

Thatdude156

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if metals are an issue in your case, but zinc is fairly high and would be the most concerning to me. Flaking rust landing in the tank might be a cause, yes, but look for other metal parts in the water, rusted or not.
Thank you! Looks like magnesium also came back at 1267. I should probably raise that some right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Looks like magnesium also came back at 1267. I should probably raise that some right?

Their setpoint range top end is very high, but it is certainly OK to raise it a bit.

The worldwide ocean average is 1280 ppm.

Back