Help identify algae

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I need to identify this algae in order to get rid of it or try to not get out of control.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

67a0b05daa5412c085956b1fa85170f1.jpg
da8e63e25d41a3ba0faa41c13b2f0a27.jpg

Ryan_Darilek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point salty, that's the first thing that crossed my mind too. The algae is GHA (Green Hair). First step is to identify the cause/source of the excess nutrients creating the problem (over feeding, over stocked tank, etc.). Feel free to post your specifics (tank size, age, livestock, etc) and parameters if you'd like help with that part. Next, to get rid of the algae... Manual removal is your best bet, but it that won't work until you solve the issue of the excess nutrients. I recommend a product called Reef Flux by Reef HD. It is a newer product and was called Algae Buster until the EPA had issues with the product stating if it would somehow get into a stream or river, it would have detrimental effect on the environment... And it WOULD because the stuff works incredibly well. You add the pills into your sump and within a week all algae is GONE. And it doesn't affect anything in your tank besides algae. $16 well spent IMO. BUT, you've got to figure out the source otherwise it'll be a constant battle. If you'd like advice on the Aiptasia, let us know :)

Ryan_Darilek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that's it. Or looks really similar.
Oh I see the Caulerpa now too... Below the zoas and all in the background is all GHA. I'm telling you man, that stuff does wonders. I was about to give up on my tank till my guy at my LFS told me about it. Here's my before and after pics (12 days apart).
235905111e3d400dfd84ed3602dbd508.jpg
e1fd630cca8625b539449f42c195fce3.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up mermaids cup. And green hair algae.

It roots pretty shallow so a light rasping may be needed.
Crabs and snails ate mine when I bought it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back