Help identifying algae

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge explosion in algae in my nano tank. Took the rocks out and cleaned them and did a 75% water change hoping that would solve the problem but here we are 3 days later and its starting to grow back already. Can anyone tell me what type of algae this might be so I can make a plan to deal with it. The tank is very small so herbivore fish are kind of out of the question but if it's something snails will eat I can go pick up a few more of them to help.

White light only:
20220420_152904.jpg

Normal light:
20220420_152803.jpg

Absolutely Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge explosion in algae in my nano tank. Took the rocks out and cleaned them and did a 75% water change hoping that would solve the problem but here we are 3 days later and its starting to grow back already. Can anyone tell me what type of algae this might be so I can make a plan to deal with it. The tank is very small so herbivore fish are kind of out of the question but if it's something snails will eat I can go pick up a few more of them to help.

White light only:
20220420_152904.jpg

Normal light:
20220420_152803.jpg
That looks more like a bacterial film. I would reduce lighting and test nutrient levels ie: nitrates and phosphates. Start with that.

OP
OP
L

Laniac103

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like a bacterial film. I would reduce lighting and test nutrient levels ie: nitrates and phosphates. Start with that.
Did some testing today, Phosphates are at 0.15 ppm and Nitrates are right around 5 ppm. I was worried that this might be Dinos, but since the nutrients are not bottomed out I can probably rule them out right? If this is a bacterial film, what would be the best way to go about getting rid of it?

Absolutely Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some testing today, Phosphates are at 0.15 ppm and Nitrates are right around 5 ppm. I was worried that this might be Dinos, but since the nutrients are not bottomed out I can probably rule them out right? If this is a bacterial film, what would be the best way to go about getting rid of it?
You can try using something like chemiclean which is an antibiotic or a natural way to help would be to use something like Dr.Tim’s waste away and refresh. I’ve used these before with stubborn slime algae and it has helped

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back