Help identifying and combating algae ( i think)

ZaheerR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening
I arrived back from a business trip and was away from the tank for 10 days. I came back go this sort of clumpy,ball shaped algae covering some of the rock work. Any idea on what I am dealing with and best way to combat ?

I haven't done any testing yet so nitrate and phosphate values are unknown at the moment.

The tank is a custom 1.3m tank lit by 2x Hydra 26hd and T5 hybrid. Also, all coral, mainly LPS ans few sps frags seem to be doing very well as showing growth from the time I left.

Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20231127-185644_Gallery.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening
I arrived back from a business trip and was away from the tank for 10 days. I came back go this sort of clumpy,ball shaped algae covering some of the rock work. Any idea on what I am dealing with and best way to combat ?

I haven't done any testing yet so nitrate and phosphate values are unknown at the moment.

The tank is a custom 1.3m tank lit by 2x Hydra 26hd and T5 hybrid. Also, all coral, mainly LPS ans few sps frags seem to be doing very well as showing growth from the time I left.

Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20231127-185644_Gallery.jpg
Chrysophytes?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response Dan. Quick search shows numerous ways of combating it. Any suggestions on what think I should do?

Thanks
Sorry, I have little knowledge about combating microorganisms. Hopefully, others will chime in.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of this:
Macroalgae isn't my strong point, but I feel relatively confident it's from the taxonomic order Ectocarpales, possibly something like Leathesia difformis or a Colpomenia sp., but I don't know for sure.

It seems like it's all growing from the same area rather than from random clumps in your tank, so I'd guess it's alright even if it's fast growing, as you should be able to maintain it pretty easily from what I can see of it's growth (i.e. it doesn't look like it'll take over your tank, but it does look like you may need to trim it back every now and then).

You could try posting in the macroalgae forum and see if anyone there knows what it is for sure.

Hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back