Help identifying Clownfish disease - white spots on tip of dorsal fins

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish that have been in my QT for two weeks. I've been observing them closely and while they're fairly active and are eating there's definitely something wrong with at least one of them.

It's the submissive of the pair and early on one of its fins became quite tattered though it's now healing. It was also swimming erratically, bumping its head against objects and spending a lot of time at the surface so I became concerned and gave it a freshwater dip. After the dip it appeared to be healthier for a while but now it has white spots on the very tip of its dorsal fins and is swimming erratically again. There's also a dark lump on the back of one of its pectoral fins that I can't really identify, it doesn't look like a sore as its the same colour as the rest of the fin. Unfortunately I can't get a photo of it.

I haven't seen any mucous that could indicate brook and the spots are only on the very tip of the fins which doesn't match what I've read of Ich or Velvet. The disease appears to be progressing quite slowly as well as this has been over the course of the last week.

Any idea what this could be and what treatments I should try? I have limited options unfortunately, it's hard to get a lot of the standard fish medications here in Germany. I do have Cupramine, PraziPro and I've ordered Formalin, it should arrive in a day or two. I also have a couple of medication preparations - eSHa Trimarin and EXIT. I can get Acriflavine as well here if that's a suitable option.

Attaching a picture of the spots - sorry for the blurry photo, it's swimming very erratically at the moment so was hard to get a good picture.

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 3.44.18 pm.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two clownfish that have been in my QT for two weeks. I've been observing them closely and while they're fairly active and are eating there's definitely something wrong with at least one of them.

It's the submissive of the pair and early on one of its fins became quite tattered though it's now healing. It was also swimming erratically, bumping its head against objects and spending a lot of time at the surface so I became concerned and gave it a freshwater dip. After the dip it appeared to be healthier for a while but now it has white spots on the very tip of its dorsal fins and is swimming erratically again. There's also a dark lump on the back of one of its pectoral fins that I can't really identify, it doesn't look like a sore as its the same colour as the rest of the fin. Unfortunately I can't get a photo of it.

I haven't seen any mucous that could indicate brook and the spots are only on the very tip of the fins which doesn't match what I've read of Ich or Velvet. The disease appears to be progressing quite slowly as well as this has been over the course of the last week.

Any idea what this could be and what treatments I should try? I have limited options unfortunately, it's hard to get a lot of the standard fish medications here in Germany. I do have Cupramine, PraziPro and I've ordered Formalin, it should arrive in a day or two. I also have a couple of medication preparations - eSHa Trimarin and EXIT. I can get Acriflavine as well here if that's a suitable option.

Attaching a picture of the spots - sorry for the blurry photo, it's swimming very erratically at the moment so was hard to get a good picture.

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 3.44.18 pm.png
two things I see are on the fins, looks like lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.
The tail looks slightly bitten which may suggest aggression or previous aggression.

OP
OP
W

waitwut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. The water quality should be quite good - I'm running a canister filter and a HOB skimmer, both of which are quite overpowered for the size of the tank, and I did a 50% water change before putting them in there and another 50% water change after a week once I started becoming concerned about them. Just checked and nitrates are at 0, no ammonia when I've tested and I have a seachem badge which also shows safe.

I'm feeding frozen Mysis and Artemia with spirulina and garlic so hopefully their diet is sufficient. I feel like they're stressed in the small QT though (15 gal) which may be the issue here, I'm setting up a second substantially larger (32 gal) QT and I might transfer them there when it's ready to provide a less stressful environment.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back