Help interpreting ICP test results

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I recently conducted an ICP test on my reef tank utilizing ATI labs. I just got the results back today and I was wondering if you all would help me interpret the results. I will include screenshots of the results and a link to them below. One specific question I have right off the bat, what does the 50% mean in the animated circle at the top of the page of my results? It seemingly corresponds to "base-elements." Also, does the "calculated reference value" mean the advised level your parameters should be at?

Thanks in advance!

lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/760ddc7c5e63014cc185

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.47.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.44.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.44.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 2.44.30 PM.png

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done an ICP test. So no expert but,
I saw something concerning there. Your Alkalinity seems way too low. Do a hobby grade test also and check if your DKH is really that low. You might need a dosing scheme(/upgrade) for baked baking soda.

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never done an ICP test. So no expert but,
I saw something concerning there. Your Alkalinity seems way too low. Do a hobby grade test also and check if your DKH is really that low. You might need a dosing scheme(/upgrade) for baked baking soda.

I just checked the Alkalinity with my Hannah Instruments test kit and its currently sitting at 6.1 dKH. For some reason I've always struggled with maintaining higher alkalinity levels with this aquarium. Idk why. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Do you have any suggestions regarding dosing and safely raising Alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing jumps out as a big problem, except the low alkalinity.

You might benefit from a trace element additive mixture (manganese, vanadium, iron, etc.), and if you have white media of some sort that might be boosting aluminum, I might consider removing it long term.

OP
OP
JSully_94

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing jumps out as a big problem, except the low alkalinity.

You might benefit from a trace element additive mixture (manganese, vanadium, iron, etc.), and if you have white media of some sort that might be boosting aluminum, I might consider removing it long term.

Could I use Seachem's Reef Trace Elements solution? Or, what would you suggest? How often would you suggest dosing an additive for trace elements?

I also use Seachem's phosguard. Could this be the cause of the elevated aluminum?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back