Help me choose T5 Bulbs for a Hybrid Fixture!

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have a 48" ATI Hybrid Fixture paired with two Kessil A360x and I wanted your opinion on the best T5 bulb options before I purchase them. The tank I am looking to light is a 4'x'2'x'2

I was thinking 2x Actinic and 2x Blue Plus but would love the opinion of other reefers!

Thanks!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to go wrong as you can change the kessil spectrum as you wish. But I went with 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus. I’m happy with mine.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with your suggestion, 2x actinic and 2x blue plus on my 4'2'2' tank. Super happy with it.
Do you have a hybrid? I was thinking it might be too blue (hence me postign!) so I would like to know your experience with this setup

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all coral plus with my kessil AP9Xs. The Kessils have as much blue as you need to offset the white to get the color you want. I originally tried coral plus with blue plus but I didn't like the color. It's cleaner looking to me and the color seems to mix better with the same bulbs.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all coral plus with my kessil AP9Xs. The Kessils have as much blue as you need to offset the white to get the color you want. I originally tried coral plus with blue plus but I didn't like the color. It's cleaner looking to me and the color seems to mix better with the same bulbs.
Really, the LEDs alone are enough to make it whatever amount of blue you want?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d absolutely use 2 blue+ 2 true actinic, and run the kessils at 100% color. Use a par meter to set the intensity, and the red/green/violet levels to match whatever overall intensity level you end up with.

I like a bright white natural looking tank. If that’s too white for you, try 30-50% color, and reduce the red and green channels down to match that

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d absolutely use 2 blue+ 2 true actinic, and run the kessils at 100% color. Use a par meter to set the intensity, and the red/green/violet levels to match whatever overall intensity level you end up with.

I like a bright white natural looking tank. If that’s too white for you, try 30-50% color, and reduce the red and green channels down to match that
Thanks for the input!!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another combo I was thinking was 1x Actinic, 2x Blue, 1x Coral plus
I used to go back and forth between this and 2 actinic with 2 blue plus. I never figured out which I liked better. Depends on the corals. Kessils don’t have as much of that super deep blue, acid trip, black light effect as some other lights so if you have certain corals that need that to pop I’d go with two actinics. If you don’t have those corals or prefer more natural go with the coral plus. You have a lot of adjustment with the Kessil to optimize the light to your taste otherwise.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a hybrid? I was thinking it might be too blue (hence me postign!) so I would like to know your experience with this setup
Yeah I have the hybrid, check out my peninsula build thread for photos. It's pretty strong blue, on top of the already super blue 2x G6 blues I have. Running the leds with 100% whites and it's still heavy blue. I'm adding another G6 soon and this will be a pro, and I'll put it right in the middle to hopefully lessen the blue a bit (instead of reducing channels.)

I love blue and the color pop, but there's a limit sometimes.

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to go back and forth between this and 2 actinic with 2 blue plus. I never figured out which I liked better. Depends on the corals. Kessils don’t have as much of that super deep blue, acid trip, black light effect as some other lights so if you have certain corals that need that to pop I’d go with two actinics. If you don’t have those corals or prefer more natural go with the coral plus. You have a lot of adjustment with the Kessil to optimize the light to your taste otherwise.
Thanks!

OP
OP
reaper93

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have the hybrid, check out my peninsula build thread for photos. It's pretty strong blue, on top of the already super blue 2x G6 blues I have. Running the leds with 100% whites and it's still heavy blue. I'm adding another G6 soon and this will be a pro, and I'll put it right in the middle to hopefully lessen the blue a bit (instead of reducing channels.)
I'll take a look, thanks!

TheWorldsOceans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does this look more white or more blue overall?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back